1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

More problems with mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, Jul 22, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

When i hit the blades on my Scag SWZ, it rumbles at first and then after like 5 seconds the blades finally engage. I checked out the belt running from the engine to the blades and it shakes alot so should I just tighten it or something. This sound is really starting to annoy me and I can't figure out what it is.

Another thing is still my Scag seems to just bend the grass over and not actually cut it. I tryed what you guys told me but that didn't help me much. Also when I cut, there are 2 lines of like grass that has just been burnt out down the center like where a dual wheel sulky wheels would follow. The stripes are nice but those 2 lines are killing me and the bend grass, well we won't discuss that problem Anyway any thoughts would be helpful.
  2. 2tall

2tall LawnSite Member

I would start with checking the tension of the belt. You only want abut an inch of play in the belt. If that doesn't work I would look at the pulleys and spindles. When all else fails take it to the shop and see what they say.
  3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I can not recall which is the swz. If it is a walkbehind belt drive then I should think you would want your deck belt pretty tight. I would think that would cure your rumbleings and cause the blades to engage much quicker.

Not sure what grass type your cutting, or what height, but fescue bends over pretty readily. If I cut 3" or higher on a lawn predominately fescue, it bends much of it over. Cutting low is the only way I seem to get enough vacume, and now it is so dry I don't dare cut that low if I have anything to cut at all.

Not sure about the lines down the center you are talking about. Make sure you have the same amount of spacers between the blades and deck, and check your pitch and rake and stuff.

Take care