1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

More Production?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SIG, Apr 18, 2002.

1. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

I have a new guy helping out ( been a friend for a long time), he works for me during the day while I am at my other job. He has been doing an exceptional job as far as his quality of work (no missed trimming, nice stripes). He is new to running my Lazers, but it still seems he is a little slow. How can I be nice and let him know we need a little more production, I pay hime a percentage of what he mows, so it's better for both of us if he picks it up a notch.
  2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

to be honest ,if u have a man that does good wk for u all day
    without supervision. i believe id just try to hold on to him.
    faster will come as he gets better at it. faster now may mean customer complaints for u. jmho
  3. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

Define the quality with him, make sure he knows he's doing an excellent job. Make sure that he knows that you want him to maintain the quality that he is doing.

Next, show him a couple of numbers. Explain the benefits of being more efficient. Don't spend too much time on the theory. Next ask him how he thinks the two of you can increase production. Maybe he'll have an idea on routing, setting up the truck/trailer or properties for more efficient cutting. After he's involved in the conversation and realizes that it's to his benefit to be more efficient in his approach to the job and he feels like he's got a say so in what he's doing - tell him what your production goals are. Start smaller and build. Don't tell him you want to increase produciton by 40% by next week. Start with 5% or 10% increments working towards your final goal.

Lastly, you may need to spend some more time working with him. If you've got properties where you can do some bed maintenance while he's doing his mowing - you can weed, edge, prune, etc. while watching him work to evaluate how he might be more efficient. Maybe he's making more trips back and forth to the truck than needed. He'll never realize it when talking to you, and you won't know unless you observe. This might be tough with you schedule - but you have to manage closely and find a time to do it in my opinion.
  4. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

Lawn Lad,
    I agree with you, I have not be able to spend a lot of time with him, because I been doing all the mulch jobs that people have to have done at the same time the grass is growing 2" a day. I guess I just need to be patient. I have been mowing grass for 15 years, so I am pretty good at it. Thanks for the input, this is the first time I have had somebody who I don't have to babysit all day!
  5. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I know when i first started out i was slow.Being on a big machine that you not use to you is kind of diffrent so i didnt run at as fast as i do now. I agree with Lawnlad show up here and there and see how he does, plus give him sometime to get to know the lawns he does and what he is using. Perhaps hes taking his time to make sure the job is done right and looks good?Better that then a customer calling for you to come blow somthing off or trim somthing during dinner.
  6. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

i agree with awm here .. speed will come with time. quality will sell more work, speed want..