"More PT Drill Sergeant"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toroguy, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

All y'all who ever spent any time in Ft. Benning GA will recognize the phrase.

This January I decided in preparation for the coming lawn maintenance season I would whip myself back into decent shape, having flashbacks to "Sand Hill".

The results are in. The PT program has paid off this week with the beginning of clean-ups. No aches or pains here. This is only the first week of the year I realize, but my PT regiment will continue throughout the year. Last year I felt whooped half way through the summer. A mistake only if I allowed it to repeat.

Its easy to focus on mower, trimmer, blower and truck maintenance. Don't forget the most important piece of equipment...You.
  2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

smart man toro. if the machines last longer with proper maintenance . i would expect ,no i know the body does also.
    also helps keep good blood flow to the brain. hence u become a genius. :) oh well mabe thats takin it to far.
  3. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

GOD, sand hill....... where the sargents are ugly and the sarges wives were uglier. LEFT RIGHT BRAVO!! Ahh what fond memories. You are correct about trying to keep yourself in shape, I didn;t do such a good job this last winter and I'm feeling it some, In fact I just scheduled a three day weekend on june 7th to go to the ocean and just get away from mowing. Next winter, I'll definitely try to get better toning. At least try to do some streches, the most important thing right now is to not drink a lot of sodas, and drink gatorade instead and eat healthy(stay away from the burger joints for lunch.
  4. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Genius, I like that...but reality sets in.

A-7-1...we are second platoon, and we like to party...
    you were probably there two years before me. We have the same birthdate, two years apart. Enjoy the coast.
  5. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

Off topic, but my father in law works on the PX at Sand Hill. He sales the military class rings. My wife goes down there once a month to help out. This is his first year of a 5 yr. contract and has enjoyed everything so far. The wife has met many people while there selling rings. I took a little tour of the training camp while there and it looks rough ( I'd much rather be cutting grass at 100F than doing drills) Also, I went down to the campgrounds, they look like a nice place to stay for a weekend. Take one of those canoes out with a fishin' pole a catch a few bream. Also, my father in law has several pics of white tail that were taken from the park. I saw at least two dozen when I was there.
  6. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

I was at sand hill between aug-dec 1982, then did a stint as a drill corporal, then went over to airborne training and finally to my duty station with the 1/75 th regiment out of savanah, GA. went back to benning for ranger training , and stayed at 1/75th for a few years then went over to west germany. I don't think sand hill is near as rough now as it was back then, when I first got off the bus at our barracks, this big white Drill Instructor was yelling at me because I ruined his beer break and I was really going to pay for it. :rolleyes: Nothing like the darby queen to get you in shape, of course now days It would kill me just to look at it.
  7. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

D-3-1, Sand Hill, Aug-Sept 1967.

I still have the "classbook" from Basic.