More Q's about the Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gardenpro, Jan 30, 2003.

1. gardenpro

gardenpro LawnSite Member
    from -

If a Walker isn't good in the wet grass, then what ride on is?
    The Walker I demo'd dug in going up hills, and it wasn't very steep, is there a reason for this?
    Thanks, there may be more......Dennis

2. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

Are you looking to bag ? if not a midmont would probly better suit your needs. If you are bagging no other machine can even come close to the Walker,.

as to clogging just go slower . But there are times were it is just to wet but usually only when your trying to cut in a down pour

Now for it digging going up hills was the hopper full? I sometimes have the same problem when it is full and the ground is wet.

This machine is a better side to side machine especially with the tail wheel lock .Just my 2 cents

3. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

I have both side discharge and a bagging Walker mower. The 2 side discharge mowers have the ATV tires on them and the bagger just has turf tires. If the one you demoed has the atv tires, then they were doing what they were designed to do. The turf tires dig up grass and dirt with their spinning when your going up hill. The atv tires get better traction, thus the digging in. All mowers with atv type tires will do this. I have found they are better for mowing as turf tires tend to slip more and tear up the ground before you know they are slipping. With the atv tires, you should practice turning with them before going on a lawn if you decide to go with a Walker. I like the atv tires because I can go on hills so steep I almost fall off my mower and it hangs in there. The Walker is a little awkward to get used to driving at first, but once you've been on one for a little, you won't like any other mower....my opinion!

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Hustler with a bac-vac unit is better at collecting wet grass than a Walker GHS unit. There are special advantages to each machine.

Gene

5. gardenpro

from -

Mowing Freak, are ATV tires alright to use on high end lawns, not too harsh? I'll look into them. He has extra wide tires on the machine right now, which he swears by.

What is a Hustler, never heard of it?
    Thanks.

6. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

garden pro, they are fine to use on high end lawns. Just don't turn real sharp. I do a 3 point turn, kind of like a garden tractor only better, on my high end lawns and do fine. My atv tires are the wide track low profile tires which I bought mostly for mowing steep hills on one lawn, and mowing while the grass is wet without the wheels slipping and tearing the grass out like turf tires do. They leave a print in soft wet ground, but that goes away, not a bare spot from spinning tires. I would recommend the low profile tires like it sounds like your friend has but only with the atv tires as the tire sides won't roll as bad. I was weary of the atv tires at first as I was worried about tearing up lawns, but am happy now that I bought them.

7. gardenpro

from -

Thanks Mowing Freak, I think it would be well worth me upgrading to the atv tires. The main problem was it being unable to do hills. Thanks again, Dennis

8. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Hills can be difficult at first but they will get easier with practice, kind of like the turns. I found that you need to start real slow at the bottom of the hill and speed up slowly. My Walker handles most hills with no problem and I have the stock tires it came with. I tryed the ATV tires and liked them they offer alot more traction.

9. gardenpro

from -

You can probably tell I'm an inch away from getting a Walker....
    Does a 25HP pick up grass better than a 20HP?
    Rain and dew on grass is a reality for me, will I be happy with this mower?
    Thanks, everyone you've been super helpful over the last couple days!

10. Lawnagent007

Lawnagent007 LawnSite Member

Gardenpro, go to Walkers website and click on Walker Talk. This is Walkers mag of people in the business using Walkers. Click on Vol. 17 and go to page 17 ( I hit the wall at three trucks). Sounds to me that the guy in the article mows in about the same conditions you mow in. His quote "Mulching is out of the question here,because lawns never dry out during the growing season. In fact we bag every property we maintain." My Walker has been great for my business. I don't think you will regret buying one.