More questions, this time on Ferris w/b's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stryper, Apr 26, 2005.

1. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

In my quest for a new w/b, I stopped by my Ferris dealer today, who also sells Toro and Bobcat. He quoted me a price of $2,899 for a 48" UltraBelt GD. Does this sound about right?

Also, there were a couple of questions I forgot to ask: Are these fixed or floating decks? It seems there's not much of a concern around here with fixed 36" decks, but should I be concerned with a fixed 48" deck? Some of my terrain is a little bumpy, but not to the point that I would call it rough.

How is tough the deck height adjustment? And how easy is it to change the oil? Blade sharpening/changing sounded pretty simple.(At least I asked one pertinent question.)

He clearly favored Ferris over the other brands he sells--something about the way the pulleys are attached--but did say the quality of cut was pretty similar across the board.

Just trying to learn...
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I just picked up a brand new Ultrabelt GD-36 yesterday. It seems to be your standard gear drive walkbehind. The 48 is a fixed deck but I wouldn't be too worried about that. I used a fixed deck Gravely 50" for years and didn't have any problems with scalping. There is one quirk with the Ultrabelt that I am going to remedy. They don't come with a parking brake. They have a neutral lock but no parking brake. There is a threaded adjustment rod that comes up from the brakes just like every other mower. I'm going to put a coil spring on it just like the Exmarks, Gravelys and everybody else has so I can set the brakes and walk away from the mower without fear that it will roll away..
  3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know if this helps you any but I was quoted $2550 for a 2005 48" eXmark belt with ECS Controls and for me personally I would buy eXmark over Ferris.
  4. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

Yes, thanks...I am going to check with my (two) Exmark dealers in the next couple of days. Unfortunately, the more convenient of the two has a less than stellar reputation, so I have to be careful. I won't tolerate crappy support for the sake of a couple of hundred bucks, and I already know I like my Ferris guys.
  5. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Come on, guys, for $ 2500- $2900 you can get a decent used Hydro unit which is the only way to cut for living. Don't spend your hard-earned dollars on a belt machine, it is not the same league as hydro counterpart.
  6. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

around here most are selling that unit for $2999. the cheapest i found is $2700.
    if u go with the ferris, are u going to offer the dealer less than $2899??? let me know how it goes.
  7. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

A friend of mine has a 48" ferris ultrabelt WB and he seems to like it. It leaves a pretty good quality of cut and stripe. That sounds like a pretty good price to me. Personally I would only buy Bob-Cat or Toro mowers!