More QuickBooks - for lawn spraying mainly

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Nikole, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Nikole

Nikole LawnSite Member
    from MI

GRRRR!!!
    alright,say i enter in a job or 2 for now, but a customer gives a CASH payment upfront for future treatments, but not for the full season. (so its more $$ than what's been invoiced, but not enough to cover an entire season of treatments)
    how on QB can i just give a DISCOUNT that doesn't show up as wanting to deposit it into the bank?? *trying to keep the cash separate here*

is there something special in the making of the ACCOUNT itself that i'm missing? all of the accounts it wants to put it in will somehow take the $$ and want to put it in my bank.
    i just want it to record as giving my customers a discount so they can have a credit on their account that i can fill at some point with another invoice. BUT NO BANKING INVOLVED!!!

again...GRRRRRR!!!!
    and here i thought i was mastering QB...

thanks guys, ANY help would be of the ut-most awesomeness ;)

2. Doug1966

Doug1966 LawnSite Member

Not that complicated.

Receive the payment in full, to the "Undeposit Accounts" fund. The overpayment will be a CREDIT on the customer's account. Deposit the cash, it does not good sitting in an envelope.

Then when the next invoice goes through for the customer, QuickBooks will give you the option to apply the credit towards the invoice.

3. Nikole

Nikole LawnSite Member
    from MI

but the cash won't be sitting in an envelope, it will be paying my non-company bills and everyday expenses. if it goes into the account, i can't use it for these things.

4. Doug1966

Doug1966 LawnSite Member

In that case, create a new "Bank" account called "Petty Cash", and deposit the payment to the "Petty Cash" account.

Then when you pay bills in cash, pay them from the "Petty Cash" account.

Businesses don't typically pay things in cash anymore....makes more sense to pay everything on a company credit card that gets points on each purchase, and pay off your entire balance every month.

You increase your recordkeeping incase the tax man comes calling, plus you get points you can use towards a new truck or personal travel.

Holding cash around makes little sense. But if you are doing it, the petty cash account is the correct way.

5. Nikole

Nikole LawnSite Member
    from MI

ok how about if i put it this way:
    i have 2 invoices in for a customer (4 upcoming at some point)
    and i feel like being a nice gal and giving them $200 off for the season.
    no $$ has exchanged hands, but i want their account to reflect that they have this money waiting to be used by upcoming jobs.
    how do i just give them 200$ off before they even have the rest of the jobs done? (because so far they've only used $100 worth of that money, so they'll have $100 left for future jobs)

6. Doug1966

Doug1966 LawnSite Member

Let me make sure I understand you. Are you asking me for help on how you can use QuickBooks to cheat the IRS?

7. Nikole

Nikole LawnSite Member
    from MI

oh geez, its one customer and not even for those big of $$ amounts i used in the example, i'm not trying to screw the system, just trying to get around something that's already said and done weeks ago.

8. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Just delete the invoice if they paid you cash and you don't want to claim it.

9. Nikole

Nikole LawnSite Member
    from MI

i could, but i'd really like to keep a record of all of their jobs. plus that was probably only a one-time deal with the cash, so their next invoices will be checks.
    i guess i'll just have to pay a little extra attention to each job they get and do the $$ for each by hand and give any breakdowns.
    thanks