More Rainbird DV issues

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, May 17, 2014.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

2. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

The DV-F costs a dollar more than the PGA. The PGA is a much better valve IMO. I'm not sure why anybody bothers with the DV-F anymore given all of the issues. The DV-F is a perfect example of what happens when a manufacturer tries to wring every last cent out of a product. I guess there is always some product manager who wants to impress his boss by making another 2 cents on a product. Haven't had any issues with the 5000 series or the ESP.

3. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

5. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I have had no issues lately with DV valves. The 5000 rotors have been close to flawless.

6. Wet_Boots

I'm a little concerned with the clutch in the 5004. Sometimes I get a jumped-gears sound when I try to shift the coverage arc.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, the slip clutch is an issue as well. Doesn't always want to work the way it is supposed to, and it makes some nasty noises other times when I turn the turret.

8. ASI

ASI LawnSite Member

I never try to do this on a system with high pressure because you end up replacing the head. That is when a remote comes in handy. Shut it off - adjust- turn it back on to check.

9. Wet_Boots

the 5004 clutch is still pushing against the gear drive, whether the head is or isn't under pressure

10. richgauci

richgauci LawnSite Member

No issues with dv valves or 5004's. The odd time one fails. Pulled and replaced more pgp's 3 to 1 over rainbird rotors. See old r50's still working year after year.