More Rainbird DV issues

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, May 17, 2014.

1. Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

I failed to give the date range of the affected solenoids. Affected solenoids range from March 1, 2014 - May 23, 2014.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The more I read about zone valve problems, the more I appreciate what Del Merriner created over forty years ago.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  3. enorl76

enorl76 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Orlando, FL

And what's that? Educate us new-timers... :weightlifter:

4. Wet_Boots

Delbert Merriner is the "del" in Richdel, who brought us the longest-running show in the industry, the R204 valve, still being sold today as the Irritrol 205

5. Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

I am looking for some feedback. Are my posts useful/helpful or should I be less active?

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I find them to be useful, and informative. You've stepped up and told us there were issues and why. As long as you aren't shoving RB products in our face all the time, I have no problem with it. I'd appreciate more informative posts about products like this. I don't know, maybe the mods can make a sub-category for actual products and questions about the products that the reps can answer.

**EDITED - they already have a sponsor related section. Maybe something in there.
    http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=216

7. Wet_Boots

I personally am interested in the details of why products don't always work as designed.

8. Wet_Boots

Supplying DOM info is very helpful, by the way. I only wish I could get that for all products I use that develop issues.

9. Wet_Boots

I'm curious, does the DVF bonnet require a longer cycling time? (at which point, deformation might cease to be an issue)

10. Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

I don't have a great answer to your question, but I will comment none the less.
    I am not familiar with all the cycle times of our parts. I bet the cycle time on the DVF bonnet is longer due to the thicker sections around the flow control. We speculate that the geometry of the flow control features make the DVF solenoid bowl less susceptible to distortion. Remember, this is the root problem we were addressing with the material change on the DV. We were not seeing the distortion of the solenoid bowl on DVF in our lab or in the field.
    I will talk to our tooling engineer to better understand this situation and if I learn something, I will share it.