1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

More Ramp Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I posted a thread a while back about getting some ramps for my mower, but I did not have the measurements of my mower or trailer at the time so I did not know which to get. I have a 7' x 10' dump trailer that was made for snowmobiles. I have checked around about getting a ramp welded on the back and it seems to be around $400 to have this done and my local mowing dealer told me he thought it would be more ideal to just get some nice aluminum ramps. I need ramps that will get my Gravely 34Z on and off of my trailer safely. I want to be able to get my push mower off with these ramps also, so the rungs need to be fairly close together so the wheels will not get stuck. The best place I have found has been
    They seem to have reasonable prices and plenty of selection. Which ramps from the link will work for me? The rear of my trailer is between 21"-24" off of the ground depending on the hitch I get on my truck ( hitch not mounted yet to check). I appreciate the help and sorry to post the same thing again :)

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

With spending 400.00 bucks to have a ramp installed which is far safer than regular portable ramps you can sell the trailer and save the 400 bucks and buy you a new trailer with a back ramp from factory. I would never use the ramps that are removable as i have seen 2 mowers with alot of damage that fell off of the portable ramps . If you opt to buy a new trailer get a low slung axle so trailer will set lower creating less of a problem dragging or bottoming out with loading and unloading . Just my 2 cents
  3. Husky03

Thank you for the advice, but it is not what I want to hear. I do not want a new trailer. I just purchased the 34Z and I have other expenses and I cannot go out and buy a new trailer before next spring. Besides, the trailer I have now looks good and I have out a lot of work into it. I would think if you secure the ramps properly with pins or cables and use good common sense they will be safe. I need this trailer to work atleast for my first year. What is the safest way to secure the ramps while driving over them?

4. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

i personally like to have as few gaps between the ramp rods "steps" as i can. Also, space between the two ramps scares me too. i feel like it will fall in between and the 1K lb will crush me.

I'd buy a few ramps to make "one solid platform", which would cost me ~$400 or so....almost as much as a new gate.

You are from IN....did you talk to MSI, in Elkhart? their stuff is cheap and really good. that's where i got my trailer.
  5. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Gated ramp will be safer and also better.I have all different kinds of ramps thats I brought none is safer the ramp gate.
  6. Husky03

I probably am not going to use this trailer for very long and I do not want to get a ramp welded on. I guess if I am going to be doing this the unsafe way with ramps. What are the safest ramps I can use that will work with my push mower and be able to be secured on my trailer with pins or cables?

Thanks... :dizzy:
  7. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you go to Lowe's or Home Depot they have "Ramparts". You just get some wood and attach the cleats. They come with pins that are supposed to help hold the ramp from sliding on you. Hope this helps!
  8. Husky03

I already have some of those metal board ends. I do not remember who they were made by. I have them on new treated 2" x 8" or 2" x 6". I am not sure, what the size of the boards are. These bow dangerously low with mower on them. I do not trust them.

9. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had to load my Grasshopper up into the back of a truck before with a set. Mine were 2x8. My GH fits in a truck witht the deck off but it still weighs 1000 lbs. I didn't have any problems.
  10. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

Your probably not getting the response you want to hear because what you are trying to do is not only unsafe and dangerous but also economically unwise. If one ramp gives way/breaks/ whatever with you on the mower, the mower will roll over and probably crush you to death. If you don't get killed I can guarantee you'll regret using the removable ramps for the rest of your life.

Sell your current trailer and put the proceeds toward buying another trailer with a hinged gate.

When I was your age, I rebuilt a car and spent several thousand of dollars on custom this, custom that, adapter plates, headers, cam shaft, solid lifters, new interior, new paint, four speed transmission with the Hurst shifter, custom mag wheels, high performance intake manifold, Holley carburetors, etc. When I was done I figured out that I could have bought a brand new Corvette for what I spent on parts for that car. Granted it was the best looking and equipped eleven year old car around, but it was still eleven years old!

Listen to these guys, and get another trailer and be done with that problem.