1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

more ?'s on leaf removal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C&S Services, Aug 19, 2004.

1. C&S Services

C&S Services LawnSite Member

The question I have on this is I am planning on using my 6.5 hp 21" Toro w/ bagger to mulch up leaves this fall. I plan to rake them up into rows and mulch them up. I've never done this before so here are my questions.

1-will there be a lot of chipped up leaf left on the ground?
    2-what blade do you recomend?
    3-if I have 1' wide by 5" high rows will the mower handle this?

I sort of need to bag the leaves or at last put it into barrels, there is a transfer station here, they charge .075 cents per pound. I wouldn't be able to get the the transfer station till several days after the clean ups. Thanks in advance.
  2. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

Let me help you! Don't waste your time blowing leafs on the lawn...just mow with a bagger...works more efficient...less dust...and faster. Blow all beds out first. A sharp blade, sharpened frequently...depending how many lawns your doing....21" is going to make you work emptying that bag more often then the mower is running....good luck.
  3. J-dub

J-dub LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

You're going to end-up filling the bag on that Toro (or any other mower, for that matter) within a few feet. It'll take forever.

On my ProLine, I use a side discharge when going over leaves. Shoot them toward the middle of the yard (each pass-over mulches them into smaller pieces). A that point, I run-over the pile to disperse into a wider area. It's at this point that I attach the bag and collect the leaves.

As to clippings, don't worry about it. You can't bag all of them; the one's that remain will decompose and become nutrients to your lawn.
  4. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

For your approach with only a 21" mower I'd recommend blowing into huge piles then raking onto a tarp. Pull the tarps onto a trailer or truck. Faster then a 21" bagger approach...but you'll need some sides for a truck or a trailer. Then tweak the lawn with the mower/bagger for a clean look.
  5. C&S Services

C&S Services LawnSite Member

I was hoping to load up with the tarp idea but that still leaves me with a large truck load that I would rather not hang onto till I get to the dump. Is there any one out there that knows of any thing you could use or comfigure to grind leaves? That way i could toss them into the truck and have a smaller pile.
  6. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Only thing I know of is leaf loader this grind them up.