More skid steer questions

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Lawnworks, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Alright I have been searching high and low for a deal on a skid. I basically just need one to use a harley rake, pick up pallets of sod and trees(4" max). From what I have read New hollands aren't so great for grading... is that right? For the Deeres, it seems alot of people hate these things... how are they for grading? They seem to be able to pick-up some weight though right? It sounds like Cats and Cases are the cats meow. What is the real world capacity of a 246? Will it pick up a wet pallet of sod?

Also I don't really understand the tip capacity. If a machine can only pick up 2k, how is it going to tip at 5k?

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

If you're lifting sod, get ready for a huge machine. I wouldn't recommend anything less than 2500 ROC for lifting sod off a truck and even then I'd go for a 3000 ROC machine as they aren't much bigger/more expensive than a 2500 in most cases. I'd skip the 246 if lift capacity is a concern. Demo and see what you like. I'll tell you that the Deere will outlift them all pound for pound, but you might not like the machine for anything else.

3. beyondupnorth

beyondupnorth LawnSite Member

Tipping capacity is twice the ROC for wheel loader and track loader roc is 35%(?) of tipping capacity I believe. As for what breed you really need to have some seat time in each machine, and talk to owners that do work (figuring what work you want to tackle can bee tought) you are considering. All have some strong and weak points. Radial lift machine tend to have less slop in the boom and require less maintenance. Vertical lifts have more pins, hence more side to side play as the loader ages. Lack of grease shows up quicker. For this trade off you gain about 12" more reach at full lift height.
    I know myself I don't do enough of any one thing to find a machine that would be bad for my application, although I sure some would be better then others.
    Kem
    Ken

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the others. Sod pallets are heavy. The 246 has a ROC of 2000. That will make it a little light for off loading a truck. You may be able to move them around at ground level. You will need a good size machine to off load trucks of sod. One thing to remember and that is be careful on buying a machine to accomplish a small fraction of what you need it to do. Example if off loading sod is a 5% of the time kind of task than I probably would not make that a deciding factor on what size machine I wanted. Maybe have the sod company off load the truck (which is what they do here) and then you can run a smaller machine. A 2000 to 2200 ROC machine will move full pallets of sod and pavers when kept low to the ground. As far as Deere or any other brand goes you would really need to demo them and decide for yourself. Everyone has their favorites.

5. rutwad

rutwad LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

That's what I thought they did, but I guess it depends on how much sod you get. But I agree, find out what else you will use it for and get something that is going to perform well for all it's uses.

6. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

Don't sacrifice price for all around performance. Remember today you say "all I want it for is Raking, Lifting Sod & 4" Trees" But When you get the machine you will discover a million other uses for it...My advise (not that you have to listen) is to do your homework on all brands and sizes to maximize not only todays potential but tomorrow's as well.

7. Lawnworks

from usa

I understand there are definately a millions uses... I have a mini-skid w/ many attachments so the skid will just be for the bigger tasks. I guess I am just trying to avoid debt. I hate payments and want to pay cash for a decent machine. If I can buy one for a few thousand less than market value... I should be able to sell it if I need a bigger one. Maybe even make a buck.

What about offloading pallets from an overdeck pull behind trailer? Will I still need a ROC 2500-3000 skid? For small jobs(1-8 pallets), I would like to deliver myself. I guess that is more of a "want" than a "need". I can always pass the costs on to the customer.

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Having a huge amount of lift capacity is nice, but you have to ask yourself how often you're actually going to need it. With a bigger machine, you need a bigger trailer, tow rig, insurance is more, maintenance costs are greater, fuel consumption is greater, see where I'm going with this? I'd have to recommend that the best machine for you, in my opinion, is one that is between the 2,000-2,500 ROC range.

9. Lawnworks

from usa

Thanks for the advice. Do you think that type of machine would lift a pallet off of an overdeck trailer? It sounds like a Deere or New Holland have above average lifting capacity.... that right?

Maybe ironplanet will give a cat away some time.

10. Lawnworks

from usa