1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

More skid steer questions

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Lawnworks, Dec 26, 2006.

1. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

How can you get a good evaluation with just one picture?.....no way. I would prefer to "kick the tires" instead of writing a small check because it looks good on paper. I'd rather pay more up front for a machine that is in good condition, rather than buy a beat up low cost unit and dump a bunch of money into it that you will never get out.....speaking from experience here on that one! Debt is part of the game....if you could afford to buy a handful of these things would you be in this business or on the beach somewhere sipping margaritas? Handle your debt wisely, make it work for you, it is a good tool and necessary one.

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

CAT gives those machines away on Iron Planet. I don't think you can find a better deal on a CAT skid steer.

3. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Yeah I could see financing a new one if I used it everyday all day, but unfortunately I don't. I just can't justify it. I sleep much better at night knowing I don't have to find work to pay for equipment. But I do get your drift on buying junk equipment... been there done that. Maybe I can find a good used one somewhere.

4. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Take a little time and look around, winter is here, in some parts of the USA and there will be a few good deals around ,just know when to deal and when to fold!

5. BobcatBoy06

BobcatBoy06 LawnSite Member

What part of the country are you in? I may be able to help you out on some kind of bobcat skid steer depending on how big or small and how much money you are willing to spend.

6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I am in GA... don't really want to spend more than 15k unless it is a smokin hot deal.

7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Around Atlanta there are as many New Hollands doing Landscaping as any other brand.
    Very few brands excell at all tasks.
    If you listen too enough people you will never be able too purchase a machine.

New Holland's are readilly available for 15k or less around Ga in really good shape.There 185 size machine will handle a pallet of sod just fine.
    They have a 2500 ROC .
    For the money they are hard too beat.

Just unload it from the trailer deck if the height concerns you.

My TL140 has no problem with even the heavist pallet of sod and its 35% tipping weight is 2083 pounds.

8. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

I know in my neck of the woods you can buy a Bobcat from the dealers rental fleet with under 500 hours and a warranty for a great deal. It may be a little scratched up but who cares unless you are one of those guys/girls that likes to spit shine your skidsteer.......