1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

More skid steer stuff

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by georgel, Jul 17, 2001.

1. georgel

georgel LawnSite Member

I am starting to look outside of bobcats just to make sure I want a white animal sitting on my trailer. I am looking at New Hollands, Case, and Cats. If any of the folks here who have any of these please comment:

New Holland: I can easily see that the visibility would be better but, it looks like the engine is tucked underneath. Is it hard to maintain? How are the LX565s? I have seen a few newer models with less than 1000 hours going between 10-13K which is better than a 773

CASE: I sure see a lot of these being used. What are the pros and cons here? They seem pretty close in design to the bobcats.
    Price wise, they are around the same as Bobcats(1845c -vs- 773).

Cats: Not sure about these. They have the cat name but, they seem like a 'me too' skid steer. Is there any real advantage to these? Price seems really good, that is a big plus. Are they reliable?

That's it. Let me know your thoughts. I am familiar with bobcats as that is what I have used in rentals but, I plan to keep this awhile and want to make money with it so, share your experiences if you have any w/ the others I mentioned

2. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

How about the Mustang 2040? Or the Toyota 4SDK8 ?
  3. georgel

georgel LawnSite Member

I hadn't considered them because I am not aware of a dealer in my area that services them.

Thanks for the input
  4. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

My vote is a Case 1845c I love how they work and they have been very reliable for us. I also love the hand controls because I find in high work boots I don"t have enough flexibility in my ankles to operate the controls well
  5. georgel

georgel LawnSite Member

I just got back from a bobcat demo and there is a world of difference w/ hand controls. I could see big productivity gains. The other thing I discovered is how nice the 8 series is. That extra weight and power are awesome. IT just didn't bouce around as much and the extra 20-30 ho makes a big difference.
    I may change my sites back to an 863 and the equivelant in the other manufactures.
  6. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I generally don't like skid-steers but if I had to have one it would be a John Deere.
  7. georgel

georgel LawnSite Member

JD huh. Why do you prefer them?
  8. CHC

CHC LawnSite Member

We've used Bobcats & New Holland's; currently own a NHLX. Last one was a NH 553. I feel more comfortable in the New Hollands than I do in the Bobcats. Seems to sit lower. Didn't have any problems with the 553, &,so far, haven't had any with the 565.
  9. georgel

georgel LawnSite Member

What kind of work do you use your NHLX for? Is it easy to get at the various filters? What year is yours?

10. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

They seem to have a better lift angle and are a little stronger than other I have operated georgel. I rarely use a skid but have rented several types. Can do 99% of my work with a tractor. Plus I have always been partial to JD equipment.