More Snow in New England?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by npalomba, Feb 12, 2001.

1. npalomba

npalomba LawnSite Member

Looks like we are going to get a few more inches tonight or tomorrow; I am going to check the radar right now to see if and of the web sites I use have any accumulaction projection totals.

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

weatherchannel is only saying a dusting at the most for lower NY,I never beleive them though,the only way to know is get up every hr and look out the window.

3. npalomba

npalomba LawnSite Member

I try to follow the same weather sites the Pilots do. They seem to be pretty good; 2 inches maybe is what I am seeing right now.

4. npalomba

npalomba LawnSite Member

Only ended up with a dusting this morning and it's 42 degrees here so it's going away quickly. No $$ to be made here.

5. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

We only received a dusting, which was not really plowable, especially since if you plowed it left glare ice underneath. We spread magic salt or salt sand on accounts and accelerated the melting, which seemed to fine (since the sun is shining and there isn't a cloud in the sky).

Here is the problem -

Simultaneuosly- one customer flagged down a truck and said don't bother, it'll melt by itself in an hour (which was fine with us). Another customer, who has received full service all winter (plowing, sanding, loader to stack, etc.) on a seasonal payment program called to complain that we didn't plow. We had salted early on, and his lot was melting nicely (it was brown with pavement showing through) before he opened for the day), and not the least bit slippery. We went with a plow to show him that it would not be enough to plow, but he still freaked out. We don't even know how to repond to his query. All season, no questions, less than an inch dusting and this guy goes to defcon 4 with lights and sirens. Give me a break. His whole lot is on the North side of the building and he couldn't understand why it wasn't gone yet....Sorry to vent, this is just quite ridiculous and I wonder if others have had any customers flip out at this point in the season?

6. site

site LawnSite Member

If one guy sais you are giving him too much attention and the other guy sais he's not getting enough you must be giving exactly the correct amount of attention. I wouldn't worry. If you had stayed in bed and decided not to do anything he might have a reason to complain. He will act like an average customer and question your thinking, but if you respond with the right answers he might even begin to trust your judgement.

7. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Phil,
    If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it.

I know it "feels" like everybody's doing it, but that's not really the case.

Frustrating, isn't it??

8. Guest

We went out at 3.00am with our 3 sander trucks and did all of our accounts. We spread around 15 yards of sand/salt, 3 tons of magic salt and about a 1/2 ton of ice melt, in situations like this I have learned that I better be safe than sorry and do it all. We had all of our accounts done by 7.00am and no one questioned us for being there in fact I had one property manager page me and make sure that we knew that it had snowed out, we only had about 1/2-3/4" of snow and it was almost all melted by 9.00am but I knew that if I didnt go out and sand than I would have a lot of complaints for that one hour of slippery conditions. Sometimes we look dumb for doing stuff that isnt going to matter in less than a few hours but if someone got hurt or in an accident in that short period than it will be me that is going to get in trouble. Just My two cents