more splice stuff

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

It's Sunday and I'm bored. So if I wasn't confused enough trying to decide on best splices for various applications, I now am looking at the Buchanan crimp with locking cap, which you fill with a sealant, as opposed to grease. The Buchanan crimper has four points for a strong, even connection.

These are on the idealindustries.com website, as well as a heat tube splice that comes with the connector. I also like the ideal heat gun.

But I'm thinking of going with the cast tin coat and solder. So ignore me while I find even more options on a topic I thought was exhaustible.

Mike

crimp.jpg

tubingsplice.jpg

2. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Mike, I have gone to the buchanan crimp because it is the probably the best all-around connection. I don't use the cap though. I put the connection into a DBR. This is a grease filled cap that closes on the back side to seal it and provide strain relief.

Just for general information, the buchanan crimp is the only connection permitted by the NEC for joining copper and aluminum wires. The connection is so tight that it does not even allow air to get between the strands of wire.

3. Mike M

from usa

This is a grease filled cap that closes on the back side to seal it and provide strain relief.

Paul, can you specify which grease tube, or attach an image? I'm using grease tubes, but the connection doesn't lock into the end and can be pulled out.

Thanks,

Mike

4. NightScenes

Here is a pic of the small size that I just pulled off of the web. It's made by Dryconn.

DB-Plus200.jpg

5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Thoes are similar to the ones Im using. I solder then insert into the tubes tho I dont use a crimp unless its unsafe to take my solder pot in a tight area or its a repair of someone elses work.

When I use the grease tubes I move the wires around in em a bit to coat em good before sealing them shut.

Im going to get some of thoes ace connectors for tree lights I think tho.

SK1412ORG50.jpg

6. Mike M

from usa

Billy, that's what I have. But I wonder if I should crimp again above the splice one or two inches to keep the splice from sliding back out of the silicone. Does Cast still recommend silicone twist-ons to cover, or the grease tubes?

Paul, is there a way your crimp can slide back out if the wires are pulled a little, or does it stay well inside the DBR?

And what about sealing? That's my real concern. There is an opening on both sides where the wires go in; nothing is actually sealed off? When I test my splice, the crimp is strong, but it slides up to the top of the grease tube.

:hammerhead: ;)

7. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Mike M, or anybody who cares to answer:
    That plastic cap on the bucannan, is that the part that screws down? I know I could probably go online and research this, but it would be helpful if someone could post some pictures of the assembly of these things.
    Billy, I used to date a girl that had a toy like this! Do you think she may have been a spy trying to sabotage or gather info on my business? :eek:

8. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Let me now say this prayer:
    Dear Lord, I know I have just set myself up big-time. Please don't allow these guys to see the opportunity to really give me a hard time about my last post. I promise to be a better husband if you just let this slide.......well, maybe I can stand a little ribbing:laugh:

9. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Mike... The wires come out on both sides and if you conigure the wires properly or shut the door on it right it should have tension enough to hold the wires in. Rememeber Im not using these at the fixtures but at the hubs with multiple wires. Im not using alot of Spider splices any more... Thy are kinda a tight fit and I dont like burying 10 to 20 ft of wire at the base of it. I use mostly small irrigation valve boxes... nice and easy to work with and you can leave plenty of wire inside for future work. Where looks count and somethings gotta be dressy I still use the spiders. I still wish Cast would make one about an inch bigger...Maybe the black widow splice ? :laugh:

Cast still recommends soldering then the dryconn wire nuts. Its a good connection. I feel the grease tubes "seal" up a bit better than the drycons alone do and prevent wicking a bit more but if you use the drycons alone with soldering I dont see a problem as long as your soldered joint is not to long (or your twist joint)

Chris J... Funny you said that. I think I recall my wife saying something like... he do you know what thoes look like?:laugh:

10. NightScenes

Hey Chris, is that photo actual size?