More Stihl Edger Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I see a lot of you guys use Stihl stuff so there must be something good about it, but I can't seem to find it. I got my Stihl FC55 about halfway through this season and it has not been used a lot. Maybe an hour a week. The starter switch has went out in it twice and the thing clogs all the time unless the grass is extremly dry. I go out yesterday to run some Stabil through it for the winter and there is a puddle of fuel underneath it and the thing is a big sticky mess. Why does fuel always leak out of the air filter when the thing sits? It has done this since I got it and the dealer told me it was form pressure in the tank, he told me to take the fuel cap off to relieve pressure before storing. I always do this and it still leaks. :angry: I really hate this thing.

2. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

i dont have their edgers but have there weedeaters and never have a problem with it. one thing was that the clutch was engaging during idol and i couldnt figure out where to adjust the idle screw. took it to the dealer and he showed me everything i needed to know.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i have one of thier backpack blowers, biggest piece of junk i ever bought. planning on throwing it in the river

4. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

same here bobby mine sometimes take 20 pulls to start .

5. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

uh o i was planing on buying a stihl blower and a redmax blower this offseason

reason...no redmax dealer within 50 miles of me that services the blowers

stihl is 2 mins from my house

6. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i personally think stihl equipment doesnt have enough power except for thier chainsaws

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

only 20 pulls? you got a good one. last week my redmax was in the shop, i just grabbed the stihl and went off to work. after pulling it 5,000 times, i just threw it about 50 feet into the air, and down the street. i would have left it, but was afraid i'd get a ticket for littering. i litterally sucks. when you do get it started it blows at about half the power of my redmax. i can't even use it for blowing grass clippings off of walkways, in 90 degree heat, you'll pass out pulling that damn cord

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Maybe it's just the operator? ;)
    We don't have any problems with ours, even I can start it.......

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

ah yes....jodi can do wonders with those pretty little fingers, can't ya?

10. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I also have an old (probably 8 years old) Stihl BR400 and it is only used as a backup now. I have a Redmax 7001 and a Shindaiwa 630 for first line work. I have found with my BR400 that if I use the correct method, it usually starts after 3 pulls, but if I deviate then forget it. I found that you have to first set the throttle to full. Turn on full choke and then pull until it hits once. Turn the choke off and pull again. One other piece of information that may be helpful. Look on your Stihl blower and see if the gas tank has oil on top of it. The BR400 blower has seals at the ends of the crankshaft and if these seals get worn, they will let air leak into the crankcase and the gas and there is not enough vacuum to pull is not enough vacuum to pull fuel into the carburetor when trying t start it. The seals aren't expensive and are easy to replace.

As far as the question about why the edger leaks, I have a couple of possibilities. The carburetor needle valve may have some trash under it and it won't shut off when it is full. Another possiblity is there is usually a filter looking thing (sorry I can't remeber what it is called) at the end of a tube near the gas tank (outside the tank). If this gets stopped up it causes pressure to build up and gas to escape.