More Streamrotor stress

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Yesterday I worked until 7 pm converting a drip system to streamrotors as per customers request.

I installed 10 (7 12" hi-pops, 3 4" regular) stream rotors, and had 3 no spinners out of the box. That and not having a arc disc smaller than 90 degree's, and the poor radius adjustment is starting to really frusterate me with these. I only do one 300 series install a month, but I hate them.

Why is there so much difference between a 01 nozzle and a 02 nozzle, but so little difference between a 02 and a 03? Why can't I have a 01.5 or a 02.5???

ARRG.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It's the 90's that bother me the most. Especially if I use the 63 low-gallonage nozzles. I always grouped the 01 and 03 nozzles together, and considered the 02 and 93 nozzles as nearly matched.

I'm still wondering about the long-term effects of losing the oil from those gear drives. I don't think it can help. If you can fit them into your landscape, though, they may still be the most reliable heads.

One thing I'm doing when I encounter a destroyed 300, is to save the spring-loaded stator assembly. They can come in handy.

3. Dirty Water

Funny thing, one of the heads had a slightly loose nozzle when first ran, and a good bit of water was dumped aroudn the base, It had a lot of oil mixed in it. (The rainbow look), I almost took a picture, because I thought that they had stopped using oil in those heads.

Brand new head too.

I haven't tried MPRotators out yet, but VAN style adjustment for as streamrotor sounds like a dream come true.

4. Wet_Boots

I still roll my own 300's, so loose nozzles are all my fault. I still wonder about the long-term prospects for MP Rotators. The idea of depending on the friction between a stainless-steel pin and the plastic it's inserted into is something I don't have a ton of faith in. That doesn't mean that modern materials can't make it work, though.

5. Dirty Water

I do too, I have one of those red Toro cases with the steel arc discs (Shows how often I use them :laugh:, I think they are plastic now), and a fishing tackle box full of nozzles.

I was still under the impression that Toro ditched the oil lubrication for water.

6. Wet_Boots

Stainless steel discs, and nothing but. Let Home Depot have the plastic ones. I think the gear drive is now just sealed with some gel lubricant inside. I still prefer the oil.

7. The MP Rotator has been a life saver for me.

In the area I work, even though it's a municipal supply, the supply is off a well. Pressure is fine during spring and fall but come summer time, there is a noticeable drop.

My front yard, I converted from r.b. u-series nozzles to the rotator for this reason. Cheaper to convert than split the zones.

They are pricey(my cost 5.40) per unit, but after a year, so far no failures. I also converted a few people this summer...so far, no call backs.

To bad Ewing is kind of far for you. Might actually be something to consider if you didn't have to drive to Tacoma or Redmond.

8. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Uh yeah, and how about when you come up to a place that has dry spots in the lawn just beyond the radius of the 03s in use? Kinda like getting blood out of a turnip?

9. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Sheesh! And they're made in your own state, Birdie!

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto here. Never liked the "new age" model either.