more than 5 apps needed?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Jul 22, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We're in central Iowa. We offer up to five regular apps plus optional grubworm prevent, but I see alot of guys that do 6 or 7 apps in our same zone. Our program was originally developed by our land grant university (years before Scotts added their "5th step" to their original '4-step program'). We always use high quality slow-release fertilizer so it can last 2 months or better, and we provide free service calls in between.

Other than additional income, is there a reason why 6 or 7 apps are justified?

rscvp, thanks :usflag::canadaflag:

2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I do 5 fert apps(#1 includes pre-M) , but include two broadleaf sprays along with a RounUp spray in my standard program. So, only one combo app. Nut sedge, fungicide, insecticides, whatever else are on an as needed basis.... and yes, more apps, more $.

I try to minimize the use of pesticides, so I only treat for grubs, insects, fungus on an as needed basis, unless there is a history of a particular pest infestation.

Tell Larry I said hello.

3. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

years ago, i used to offer 6-7 app programs,
    the biggest benefit was being on the properties more often and
    able to keep on top of weeds, monitor insect problems, fungus,
    watering, etc....
    it also showed better results to apply 4-5lbs n anually, in
    6-7 app verse 5 app
    which happened to be just the right ticket for some many
    newly built homes out there, where builders keep cheaping
    out and using gravel for loam with extremely low cec

anyway, despite all the upsides of this, the downside
    was a scheduling nightmare, and increased drive time
    and fuel money. as i had customers on 4,5,6,7 app programs.
    had to be more effecient and ended up settling down to 5 app
    programs for all.
    ive always felt like i left $$ on the table(so to speak) on my
    6+app customers

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

we generally do 6 aps in our program, but let's face it. For tjose who aren't irrigated, it is unlikely they are going to need or sometimes - even feasibly take 6 aps. this season is an exception, because so far, we've had a good wet season. However, with a moderate slow release program, aps could be stretched out, and an ap such as Rd 4 or Rd. 5 could be skipped all together ...in lieu of just a blanket spray for weeds. (Rd. 4 would have many heat and timing variables for this).

5. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

Every body and I mean everybody gets seven billable apps done in six actual applications. This so that one I can somewhat make up my money with my combo summer fert and grub control app that I lose with my liquid rounds and also so that I am on the property every four to five weeks and can stay on top of weeds. In Johnson county it is so much the case of staying up with the Jones it is not even funny.

Matt

6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Man, it was that way back in the 80's when I was a kid there...

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

I run 6 apps. Same reasons already mentioned:

-weed control
    -more income
    -set myself apart from competitors

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

The good guys at TG are running 6-7 apps here in MN, where we only have a 20-22 week growing season.

I run 4, and usually 3 on the properties that aren't irrigated.

IMO, it's a money grab.

I understand if you've got an insect problem, grubs, fungus, whatever, that yes, you'll have an additional application.

But I've got properties that I service where there's no issues, just about every 3 weeks there's another sign, "TG was here". If you're doing IPM, without running completely blanket apps every time, there's no reason to be doing apps every 3 weeks, unless you're just throwing down fert at 1/2 - 2/3 rate in order to get the service call.

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

Well, they're really only running 5. They just count their 2 weed sprays separately...

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

No. If that was the case, the signs would be there every 5-6+ weeks.

A couple of these properties it makes you think you're going nuts, thinking you forgot to pull the sign the week before.

If they're making separate trips for the broadleaf app, that's just an additional service call which could have been taken care of wen they did a fert app.

Crazy part is, they're doing 6+ apps cheaper than I do 4, and I'm already at the property each week.