More than a day?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by djmn, Aug 6, 2007.

1. djmn

djmn LawnSite Member

So I'm doing a larger patio job that's going to take longer than a day to finish. I realize I'll only want to screed as much sand as what I'll be able to accomplish in a day, but my question is at what point in the process is it ok to stop for the day?
    Should I complete the whole section (cut pavers, compact down, polymeric sand, etc), or would it be ok to maybe just cut necessary pavers/compact down and wait to add polymeric after the whole patio is finished?
    Any concerns if it were to rain overnight?
    Thanks

2. Humble Earth Mover

Humble Earth Mover LawnSite Member

Rain is a big concern if you have freshly laid, untamped pavers and/or screeded sand exposed. Make sure you tarp everything at the end of the day. I personally don't tamp one section at a time, nor do I cut in one section at a time, unless they are defined areas. (i.e. two separate tiers, walkway off of patio, etc.) I like to do final tamp and poly-sand all at once in a large area for a more uniform look. I always keep a couple 20x20 tarps on hand in case of unexpected rain.

3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I always leave tamping and poly sand for the very very last thing. After the plants, mulch, reseeding, etc. It seemed that when ever i tamped and polyed first, we'd get mud in the poly sand and it would stain.

4. djmn

djmn LawnSite Member

Great thanks.
    Looks like I'll just end up doing all the cutting/tamping/sand all at the end then. I'll put some tarps down overnight just in case.

5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

On a typical walkway i'll do the base on day 1, day two i will screed the sand, lay the pavers, and cut. Day 3 i do the boarder and edging, then we move on to plantings etc. Last we do the tamping and sand.

I only cover the walk if its going to POUR. I have never had a proablem since i started using concrete sand and not stone dust,

6. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

We usually cut and compact after all field pavers are laid.
    We ALWAYS cover up any un-finished pavers at the end of the day.
    We have not had any decent rain for over a month and are not expecting any for a while, but the job we left today has a 155' long walkway that is covered up at this moment.