1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

More than just cutting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shawns Lawns, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Do any of you that have a set route of Lawn Cutting customers do the cutting for them one day and go back another to finish any misclanious work they want you to do or do you make it a one stop and do everything for them at the time of the weekly cut? :waving:
  2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Yep, when I cut, I only like to cut. I sorta get into a zone.
    I do any side jobs on a seperate day.
  3. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Thats what Monday is for...IMO :cool2: Cut days are Wed-Thur-Fri

Tuesday is a "gimmie" day...just incase...golf....etc.
  4. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Gotta be careful when customers ask "can you just do this real quick for me?". Customers could take advantage of that.

Remember (keeping numbers round), if you are planning on mowing 10 lawns one day, and you spend just 3 minutes extra per lawn "doing something real quick", you just lost 30 minutes of time at the end of the day. How do you bill for that? If you don't, you are working for free for that 30 minutes.

Also, if you have a tight mowing schedule, you really can't be spending extra time at each lawn.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have 2, 3-man crews who do nothing more than mowing Monday - Friday. Everything else is done by others.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

When mowing, we do nothing but mow if they ask for something while there. If they call ahead of time I will sometimes add something small to the job if it will not mess the schedule up. Generally though, I go back for other jobs at a different time.
  7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Count me among those who hates to break a groove. If it's a small job, sure. Otherwise, I make a separate trip.
  8. rodfather

We're not totally inflexible as what seems by my previous post on this subject...

If a customer approaches one of my guys and asks for something to be done, it's the crew foreman's responsibilty to quickly ascertain if it can be done in less than 5 minutes by the 3 of them. If yes, fine we do it. If not, his stock reply is, "I'm sorry, but our job here is just mowing. You'll have to call Rod to get this done."

It works.
  9. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh, sure. NOW he says the rule isn't fixed in concrete. I can hear him now on the phone with the truck foreman.

"Do WHAT????? You told that &#@!)+#$%^ you would WHAT??? You go RIGHT back and tell that &#@!)+#$%^ to blow it out her &#@!)+#$%^!!!!!!"

Sure am glad Rod's mellowing these days.
  10. rodfather

Actually I am...man, is that a scary thought or what?. Don't let my guys know that please LOL. :D