More than Mowing????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by afftandem, Jan 7, 2005.

1. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

Are you guys growing your business into landscaping or strictly just lawns?? Have any of you considered (or have you already) purchasing a bobcat? We're out there and we can get the business. Replacing concrete driveways, putting up privacy fences, sprinkler systems, lighting, etc... how many of you with lawn crews are tackeling laying mulch beds??... any of those growing it into a more manajorial process for you while you send your crews out???

2. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I was talking about this point with a couple other members that work from a car or van. I ask them how are you going to grow? How can you complete mulch jobs, fences or more profitable avenues of this work and grow from an Astro van? Dig your guys out of the van, buy a truck and put them on a sod job. Will a van pull a bobcat? Get a good foreman and start thinkin outside the 9 dots.

3. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

completley agree

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Over the past few years, we've slowly expanded into almost all of those areas you mentioned. And the few things we don't do ourselves (concrete and fences and decks), we sub out for. We have some really good subs that we have a great relationship with. By expanding like this, it's allowed us to more than double revenues over the past few years. 2004 was the first year we made more doing this kind of stuff than we did doing lawn maintenance.

5. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I replied in that thread also. But I really think the guy was talking about a cargo van (work van), not a Astro van :)

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

My immediate goal is to build mowing to the point I have a couple crews. At the same time I am building my chem app client base. My short term goal is to have 2 mowing crews and me strictly doing chem apps. Currently in addition to mowing and chem apps, we also offer aeration, overseeding/verticutting, lawn scalping, complete lawn rennovations, hedge trimming. I landscaped for 4 years, so I have a little knowledge in this area as well as rock walls. I am sure I will expand more into this area as the business progresses. I don't get many calls for it mainly because I don't market it, but there's good money in it. Once I start getting into landscaping, I can see myself pulling away from mowing, mainly because of lower profit margins. Seems to be the trend with other companies, so I am just guessing. Maybe Jim Lewis could show some insite on this area? Hey, you gotta follow the money....right?

7. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

That was me , and yes it is a cargo van. fact is you can check my profile of recent posts and you will see that this troll has been following me all over the board tonight taking punches at me like he did at one time last year before he was temporarily booted for it, my only shame is i've taken the time to respond to him tonight, another fact is that I trippled his net this year and he's blowing smoke up yer a's. Believe me or not, matters not to me. Check his posts and see for yourself if he goes around irritating people. Sorry totalcare- better luck next year!! :p :waving:

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I work out of Vans a lot. They will pull 10,000# and every thing is inside. I can pull a trailer with a tractor or Bobcat on it. If I drive a truck the tools have to sit in the bed. Open to the eyes or weather, OR I can pull a trailer with the tools and drop it and than go get the other. On the bigger jobs that have a few trucks around that is OK but on 1 crew jobs the Van works great.
    I do pull the maintenance trailers with a truck.

9. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Back last July I took delivery of a Bobcat A300. Best tool I ever bought.

10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Coastal - Do you have any of the fun toys left or are they all gone.
    If you start to have withdraw problems just start looking for your house payment book----- see you feel better already.

Just as a side note you story has given me a boost to push a little harder to make next year great. Thanks .