More than one branch of your company?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Trevors Lawn Care, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I opened my branch of Trevors Lawn Care in my hometown last year knowing i was going away to college later that fall. I am now thinking of opening another branch up at school. I have my brother to run and manage the branch at home, and i would focus on the branch here at school. What do you all think...Is it feasable? The costs would be high, but considering I am up here for another 4 years I figure it is worth a shot.

Trevor

2. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Hey, your back! I haven't seen very many of your post lately. I was wondering where you went.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Trevor,
    my biggest concern is where would your storage be at Northwood?

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I do it. I handle both cities. It is a big deal though. They are only 2.5 hrs apart which isn't too bad.

5. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

I Think Rodfather actually said he set his first employee with a truck, trailer, mower, trimmer, blower.....So that's basically what you are talking about doing, just in an area a little further away.

6. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

if you can work out storage at a resonable price then I would say go for it. My company is a devision of a larger company in another part of the state. We both do mulch blowing, but the differance is we did not even know each other before we decided to partner in this biz. You have the advantage of having your bro run the biz which as long as you know he will do good work, then you are set.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Sure did, and paid him a % of the job...not hourly. It worked out well until he went back to finish college.

8. Trevors Lawn Care

This also was a concern of mine. I talked to some of the Brothers in the fraternity and they are re-newing the lease on the house, but will be gone home as of early may. So from may - sept. nobody would be in the house. Works out perfect...Plenty of storage space, and a space to live.

Things are looking good, and positive for this idea. Any other comments and concerns would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Trevor

9. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Trevor,
    I don't see why it wouldn't work. I assume your going to college in the same state that you reside & run your business correct? I don't think storage would be huge issue. Most college towns have storage facilities as many students store things during the summer break. Bad thing about that scenario is you'd be storing equipment away from the residence. But the upside of expanding the business the way you describe would be tremendous IMO. What kind of competition is in the area?

Buck

10. Trevors Lawn Care

Up North, you and I are thinking along the same lines. I dont know how competitive the area is...TIEDEMAN would know more, he is from the general area. From what I saw last fall (September-October) most outfits here are small and dont look to professional. I have seen a couple of companies that looked good. This branch would be small in the first year. Small meaning 20-30 accounts. If more accounts were to come my way the better, but the target would be 20-30 accounts. I would take this business slow, where as the other one I am aggressively trying to grow. I like the idea.

The next thing I am doing is starting to put out fliers up here. I am going to print off my generic spring flier and distribute a couple hundred and see what kind of response I get. I guess I go from there.

Trevor