1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

More Than One Crew

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by liquidforcedude7, Apr 21, 2006.

1. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

For those of you that run multiple crews, do you work on one of them, like actually go out and mow or just manage? I was just reading where tom-n-texas (I think) was pulling in 6 grand a week with 2 crews and it got me wondering about it, the the reason I mow is because Id go crazy if I had to sit around any more than I do now even If i was making pretty good money id still go out and mow for sure...
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, I do both...which equates to whatever needs to get the job done.
  3. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

I generally do estimates full time. But more often than not I end up in a dump truck running material or chasing around a crew for something. Its a tough situation actually. I like being out in the field but I know every minute I am that something much more important is not getting done. Estimates are piling up, paperwork is piling up, customers are waiting for me to call back. So I'm usually pretty anxious and miserable when Im out in the field stuck on a job even though I like doing the work itself.
  4. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Is your time worth more than the $10-$20/hr you would be paying ee's to work on your crews? If yes, then don't work on a crew. If no, keep on pushing that mower.
  5. Breyerconstruct

Breyerconstruct LawnSite Member

Wow. Well said, this is what I've been going thru this year in our business.
    We've lost a few guys and are hiring their replacements. But, this takes time, and it's our busy season. Makes for some long days, eh? LOL

Glad to know I'm not alone...

6. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Long days have not started.....
    Weather is the big ?????
  7. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I, have worked in the field one day in the last three or four years. That excursion into a physical work day was because a worker came up sick, and my wife dared me to go out in the field lol. My time, and now the time of my nephew, is more valuable running the company, then on a mowing or landscape install crew.
  8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

While this is very true, you also have to realize that the work these $10 an hour employees are doing is the actual LIFE BLOOD of YOUR business. I feel that an owner of a mid-sized company should be in the field on a regualar basis (from time to time) maybe 2 days a week to ensure that the very work that makes the business exist is getting done right.
  9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

being in the field and working in the field are two different things.

I am not to this point yet, but my plan is to take over a crew on random days at random intervals. Well random from the crew's point of view. There is nothing like having the big boss cut the day's time by 20% to embarrass and motivate the crew to be better and faster.

But I agree, that my time is better spent getting us more business / better business than it is running a mower. The biggest two hurdles are getting enough business to allow that and getting people trained well enough that they don't need constant supervision.
  10. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

Like Rodfather I do both.I like to switch routes to keep an eye on all properties.
    A lot of people won't call you but come out and talk when they see you. I sell a lot of work that way.I can also pick up on who is a sloppy worker or who just
    needs more training this way too.I far prefer physical work to paperwork>>>