more trailer talk

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by danlawnser, Apr 14, 2001.

1. danlawnser

danlawnser LawnSite Senior Member

How hard is it to pull a 16 ft compared to a 12 ft? I am mainly talking around corners. With the 16 ft do you almost always hit the curb. I have a walkbehind, a tractor, and I plan on adding a Surfer. I don't think this all would fit on a 12 ft. with everything turned side ways or will it? Thanks for the help.
  2. jrebeiro

jrebeiro LawnSite Member

Depends on the trailer you chose. I would hope it is tandem axle. But it may take you a few days to get the hang of it. Its really not that hard.. we dont swing out very far. I did take out a few curbs tho (tried to take it through an Arby's drive-thru). Go for it you wont regret the extra space!!!!!
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You really don't have to swing out that far. You can stay right in your lane, just delay turning a little bit, then turn turn the wheel a little faster. One thing you WILL find though, a 16 footer will be easier (yes, easier) to back up than the twelve It's a little more predictable. Rule of thumb, the longer the trailer, the easier to back up.
  4. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I recently switched from a 12 footer to a 16 footer tandem axle and it actuall pulls eaisier than the 12 footer did you want be able to tell a difference.
  5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Ummm. I have a 20 footer and never hit the curb. Plan ahead and watch what you are doing and it's not a problem. There are just some things you don't do or places you can go with a trailer. It's common sense.
  6. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

16 footer is a cake was when I went with the crew cab dually that made it a little !6 foot is the way to go and you will have no problem putting that equip on it. I can carry a 48 and 36 walk behind along with my 54 shortcutt. I still have room for a small 21 incher if needed
  7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

No problems with my 18 fter,just delay turn until trailer is where the truck would be when you would turn-then all is fine.16 ft tandem has a safety advantage over 12 ft-pulls easier,and more stable too.
  8. Grateful11

Grateful11 LawnSite Member

I saw an odd trailer size the other day. It was 5' x 14'. Long and skinny. Might be fine with you have all narrow equipment. It was priced at $975 I think, new. I think it was a Carson Manufacturing trailer.
  9. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen those long and narrows. Another drawback is not being able to see it backing until it's crooked. My first trailer was 5 ft wide and even with flags at the back, once it went crooked and I saw it it was too late to correct (but that's seeing it outside the 7 ft. bed in the sideview mirrors).

10. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think the increase in trailer size will make much of a differece, especially when pulling a open trailer with a pickup. Dump trucks are a little trickier as you cannot just turn you head and look out the back, but you get the hang of those pretty quickly too.

If you were talking about big, enclosed trailers (20+ feet), then you may start having a few problems. I pull a 7x14 ft enclosed and also a 6x10 easy dumper, which are tiny compared to trailers I see these days. The dumper is much easier as you can see the rear end out the window. The enclosed is all mirror work.

Once you drive a trailer around for awhile, it really becomes second nature. If you are using the fact of which one would be easier to pull to make your decision, I wouldn't. Go with the bigger trailer, as space is always needed and you will learn to handle it in no time.