more walker questions!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawn perfections, Aug 21, 2001.

1. lawn perfections

lawn perfections LawnSite Member

i just wanted to know if anyone uses the walker 48" mulching deck and how well does it mulch..and do you think the 20 hp has enough power in it. not just for that deck, for the bigger decks as well. i want to get away from the liquid cooled(keeps over heating) i also heard the 26efi might have some problems too. so would the 20hp be a good choice. i don't seem to here as many probs with it. i do know it is not a long term engine. any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks guys.
  2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't see how a liquid cooled would keep overheating, Unless you have a bad radiator
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

When it is 100 degrees out and dry grass (Old Clippings) can fly up and start closing off the radiator air flow, this will make them run hot. Air cooled also gets hot trying to cool off the hot engines with air that is 100 degrees. The biggest advantage of a liquid cooled engine is they have tighter engines since the metal doesn't get as hot, it doesn't expand as much. Both LC and Air Cooled engines have advantages and disadvantages.
  4. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i remember seeing that lc lazers have this special radiator
  5. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

lawn perfections

Walker does not have a 48" mulching deck, only SD and GHS.

There are some great posts here on Walker decks. Do a search, that's what helped me in my purchases.

For mulching, there is a 42"dedicated mulching deck and a 52" SD with optional mulching kit.
    I'll let you know how the 52 works as a mulcher, I should be cutting with my new one on Friday.

6. lawn perfections

lawn perfections LawnSite Member

that is what i meant the 42" mulching deck. i just thought it was 48". please do let me know how it is working(the 52" mulcher). what engine are you using, how do you like it?.......
  7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

walker' 42" .......20 Hp is fine ........she mulches great .....keep the blades sharp ...... of coarse given a choice get the larger 25 Hp case you decide to get the larger deck now or later .......I know nothing of the liquid cool

We use the 20 Hp Kolher w/42" decks .... never had one over heat ....n it get's kinda warm around here ......did have a small fire start in the GHS box area this summer (grass build up ....n the guys were slacking by not blowing her out end of day) .....keep her clean n change the oil ......she'll treat you right ;->
  8. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

Lawn Perfections

I used the 52" with mulch kit today and I was in Heaven.
    This was on the 26EFI.

The most impressive and valuable feature to me was this:
    Most of my lawns are fescue, where the grass meets a mulch bed it tends to lay flat. This normally necessitates a walkaround the property using the string trimer as edger to "pick up" the blades and cut them (see Homer's tome on trimming).

Not any more with the Walker! This thing sucked every blade straight up and did its work. No supplemental edging or trimming required.
    This reduced my time on site by about 20% at each property and I am not very proficient with the Walker yet.

The tractor manuverability was just as nimble as the 48"GHS but I couldn't stick the nose in as many places due to the much larger frame and caster wheels.

The cut was better than my eXmark TTHP 48" with Micro Mulch (which I was very surprised at).

Striping though was not even close to the eXmark with ProSlide but about the same as without ProSlide.

I will be on a 2 acre site tomorrow so I'll have a better opportunity to observe wide-open striping.

This thing sounds like a THX sound test chord when it revs up.
    Very cool.

9. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Don't know about the mulching deck,but the 26efi motor should
    work well. 500hrs on mine and no problems at all yet.
  10. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed the 52" with the mulch kit and was very disapointed. The grass was blowing out all over and leaving a strip of piled up grass. Then the dealer took out the baffles and I just run the double blade set-up. With this I was totally IMPRESSED. I've had this deck for about a week and have been cutting grass 5" + at 3" and have not had to double cut anything yet. I ordered a new 52" and look forward to my double cutting days to be a thing of the PAST. As far as the 42" Mulching Deck I don't know how it would work, just try one out and see for yourself. The 20HP Kolher will be plenty of PONIES to run either the 42 or 52 decks.
    Hope this helps.