More ZTR's in past 8 years

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Strawbridge Lawn, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I just received the current issue of Lawn & Landscape and there is a bar graph that depicts the ratio of ZTR's being sold VS Walk Behinds. In a nutshell, ZTR sales have more than doubled while Walk Behind sales have remained flat.
    IMO, I believ this trend will continue and hopefully owners will step up and demand even more capabilities from the machines. Capabilities that encompass the full spectrum of what we must do through the seasons. We need to start downsizing our trailer sizes, not increase it. To much gear is needed to fit and a one-stop shopping philosophy need be considered by EM's.
    I have a 23/52 ZTR now and a residential 34 ride for back yards. Would love a Stander or a 36" ZTR that can do what my current residential grade Simplicity does in those back yards Easy Bag, de-thatch & bag, tow an aerato, spreader or a utility cart.. ZTR's are great IMO, but I pray EM's don't stop with just the mowing concept. IMO the next area needs to be the 34-42" machines that have extra flexibility for those tight spaces.
    R
    Gary

2. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

I'll second that!

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't seen the article in L&L to know where they got their data from but it is well known that over 50% of ZTR sales are to homeowners. If L&L's data is from their subscriber base than that data can not be relied upon to be representative of actual sales.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

What the manufacturers need to concentrate on are better mowers...not necessarily more horsepower, either.

They need to start spending more of their R & D time and effort on things like deck configuration, blade design, blade tip speed, discharge of clippings, operator comfort, ease of controls, and a host of other issues.

Frankly, I don't think you will see a ZTR be an all-encompassing piece of equipment like you hope for. Closest thing like that I have seen (for example) are some skid-steer loaders that have the capability to accept a dozen or more front attachments once the bucket is removed.

5. southerngent

southerngent LawnSite Member

I have a 42 inch Dixie Chopper...re-movable side plate...I get into ALL the backyards...

6. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Rodfather I agree. I think there is room for more innovation and design and from that who lknows what the machines could be capable of. The Stander and Surfers are an example of this IMO.

7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Manufacturers have always made attachments for their machines, as long as I can remember. This discussion is as old as the lawn mowing business. Which do you want? Dedicated equipment or multi-use? I have yet to see a multi-use piece of equipment do as good a job as dedicated equip. I have always steered away from multi-use, because of job quality and dependability. All those pins, clips, and hooks needed for attachments are just more things to break.
    Manufacturers have been making multi-use attachments for their machines forever. In that same current issue of L&L magazine there is an add for Grasshopper with a full page of pictures of all the attachments you can get for it.
    Not too long ago I read in a thread the Little Wonder stopped making the vacuum attachment for their push blowers, because basically nobody bought them. Their push blowers work great as blowers, but only so-so as vacuums, and you have to carry all that extra equipment with you to convert them to a vacuum.

How is having more equipment to attach to your machines going to save trailer space? I would think you will need bigger trailers to carry all the extra attachments.

Well, anyway, that's what I think about it!

(I should probably get back to work now!)

8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Quote from rodfather - just above

"What the manufacturers need to concentrate on are better mowers...not necessarily more horsepower, either.

They need to start spending more of their R & D time and effort on things like deck configuration, blade design, blade tip speed, discharge of clippings, operator comfort, ease of controls, and a host of other issues."

Try the Dixie Chopper with the Flex-Deck - Thank You very much - Just spending time in R&D improving deck configurations etc to make mowers more efficient does nothing if the general public and users of those machines are not going to take a serious look.

I am as guilty as anyone at being locked into the comfort zone of what I have been using for 20 years.

Sometimes things are so radically different, they seem too good to be true.