Morning or Evening?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, Jul 1, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

When is the best time to water your lawn. I've been watering my lawn every other evening and hav ent cut it in over 2 weeks and it is still brown?? Some gut told me you get mushrooms in your lawn if you water at night? What could fix my problem to this drought? Should I apply like a Scott's turf builder lawn ferilizer that onlty strengthens the roots or what? I have been cutting my 3" properties which is like all of them at 3 1/2 and they are still brown? Last year we had a week of stright rain and all the lawns came back to be lush green after a hot and dry summer.

2. I have seen people water during the night with no problems.

Morning is sapposed to be the best time, It allows for evaporation.

I guess you will have to wait until the drought is over to green back up.

3. agrostis palustris

agrostis palustris Banned

Spray iron chelate. By doing this you will not promote growth (which will take away from your carb reserves) you will actually just be promoting green which stimulates chlorophyll which will add to your carbs which will help your turf to withstand the drought. DO NOT apply any WSN!! if you do apply any form of fertilizer apply a natural organic, or if $$$ is an issue try some synthetic organics. Natural organics will have a low analysis, but they do other things for your turf besides just promote growth.

4. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

lawn kid,

All golf coarses around here water at night and the grass can probably absorb more water at night. Scott's came out with a new fertilizer called Summer mix or summer build can't remember exact name but it is made for the hot temps.

5. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Scott's TurfBuilder with SummerGard. I put it on friday after I was done with mowing, watered all weeked, and it pretty much greened up more the next morning after I watered. I think it has inscect control in it, too. I have my timer set to start watering at 11:30 at night, seems to have no problem. Anyone else with a sprinkler system watering twice a day now because it seems like the ground is soaking up the water faster than a sponge. Might be on water restriction by next week Monday here.