Morning, or Night?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOturkey, Sep 23, 2007.

1. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

This is probably directed more at solo operators, but could apply to anyone. I was just curious if it is your usual practice to do daily maintenance (clean the deck, sharpen/change blades, fill tanks, check oil, etc) at the end of the day, so you are ready to go the next time, or do you tend to do these things in the morning, before leaving?

I, probably partially because of my regular job, normally do things in the morning before I leave, as I HATE to come home tired and then try to do a bunch of little nit-picky things. I prefer to face them in the morning (which sometimes makes me leave a bit later than I had planned:) )

2. JHLC

JHLC LawnSite Member

I like to get everything done in the afternoon for the next day. I would rather be out working in the morning when it is cooler. We also have the afternoon thunder storms that roll in here in the afternoon like clock work. I like sharpening blades in the shop while its raining better than mowing in the rain!

3. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I do it in the morning while waiting for the dew to dry.

4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I do it in the morning. If I wait to do it in the afternoon, I will most likely blow it off or find something else to do and have to push it back til morning anyway. So I just make that my standard procedure now... haha

5. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Well I am not solo, but we clean and Mtce all equipment once back to the barn.....Its so important to me because I have a payroll to have my guys ready to roll when they first punch in. usually takes us about 25 to 30 mins to get every done daily......Even if we are doing small landscape jobs (i.e. mulch, flowers, etc...), I pick everything we need up the day before so there is no windshield time spent picking up or delivering material......

6. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Blades are changed every two days and when I change the blades I fill up the mowers then. Usually done at the end of the day for the next day. The riding mower gets gas in it everyday.On that I use 4 gallons a day.

JP

7. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

We do that as we go through the day. We have 2 extra set of blades for each mower. Sharpen as needed. We have cordless impacts and grinders with us as we go.

8. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the time the dew is not completely gone around here until noon to 1pm. I usually just carry extra edger blades and mower blades with me. I change them on the fly, after mowing or before, no specific pattern.

9. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you tell me where you got your cordless impacts from? I am having a hard time finding a decent one. Thanks.

10. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

The local tool truck guy comes to the shop once and awhile and I asked him to find me a used one. Check with him if you know of one. We have Matco, Snap on and others. Just stop one on the street and ask him. Mechanics trade them in and so on. I paid like $250.00 for mine. Case, two batteries and charger.:waving: