Morning photography

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by MAGLIGHTING, Mar 12, 2009.

1. MAGLIGHTING

MAGLIGHTING LawnSite Member

I took these shots this morning before going to my current project. If you don't have time to shoot your jobs in the PM then it's possible to do it in the AM (make sure you have your clients permission obviously).

IMG_2794.JPG

IMG_2802.JPG

IMG_2805.JPG

2. trailboss

trailboss LawnSite Member

Awesome pictures Mike. What kind of camera setup do you have?
    Steve

3. MAGLIGHTING

Thank you steve. A Canon EOS 5D

4. ccfree

ccfree LawnSite Member

Originally Posted by ccfree
    Hey Mike, i have been reading your posts for a while now and looking at your pictures. You shoot with a cannon eos5D. And your pictures are remarkable. And you state that your pictures are not photo shopped. I have a cannon eos20D, yes I know this is an older camera, but a good one at that. I use a tamron 18-200mm lens. Backround on me: My name is Craig Freeman and I live in Texas. I work for Ewing Irrigation Products and have been solely selling landscape lighting for them for the past 10 years. I am self taught to the profession with countless hours of demos, design, and install experience. I would consider myself top 5% in knowlege about the business we are in. But I just can't take the caliber pictures that you take at all. I was wondering if you would kindly give me some pointers as the night time photography is a huge interest of mine. As a service, I will go out at night and take pictures of my contractors work. They come out decent but no where near yours. I use a manfrotto tripod and typically work out of the AV setting with an iso of 100. I bracket my pictures as well. Any help from you would much be appreciated if your willing to give me some pointers.

Regards,

Craig Freeman

5. MAGLIGHTING

Hello Craig,

The 20d is a fine camera, I have that one as well. The photo attached was taken with the 20D. I like this photo because it really gives you a good feeling of depth in the scene.

For me timing is everything. Others will tell you different but this has worked for me. My best photos have always come when the sky is a deep rich blue. You will notice this in most of my shots.

Tripod, cable release and I put the camera in the bulb mode. set the f stop to 8 or higher (smaller aperature), set up the shot, manually focus and just begin holding the shutter open for different timed intervals. If I'm shooting a "bright" seen I limit my exposure time. A dim one more time etc. As it begins getting darker I hold it open longer or in the case of morning shooting vice versa . It's really just trial and error. Most of the shots will not be good so you need to take as many as you can in the time that you have where the sky is cooperating with you. I hope this helps. The camera you have is excellent for night photography. It's just like anything else, the more you practice the better you get.

Good luck,
    regards,
    Mike G

Ratcliffe66-1.JPG

6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Love the 2nd of the first 3 pictures you posted Mike. nice.

7. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

8. MAGLIGHTING

Thanks guys.

9. Mr. Quik electric

Mr. Quik electric LawnSite Member

Sweeeeet! As usual. Nice job Mikey!

10. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

Mike, nice pics, of course I'd love to see more details in those shadows.

I also like to do the early morning shoots, but there are big challenges. First, the homeowners - if I'm shooting the home, I like all the lights on in the structure - hard to do when everyone's asleep. Secondly, most of my shoots take one to three hours - that means starting real early and there's the pressure of finishing before the sun rises. Still, sometime's it's worth it, early morning sky colors are different from sunset - not sure why, but it might have something to do with the cool earth warming as opposed to a hot earth cooling. Also, I often have problems with moisture condensing on my lens (in humid climates) as the air cools at night - this doesn't happen in the morning since the air is warming and holds the moisture.

Getting back to details in the shadows. I can't emphasize enough how important photoshop is in getting the correct exposure in every part of the image and in correcting imperfections in the image. Of course it helps to be a photoshop pro but even Photoshop Elements (baby photoshop) can do a lot.

Here's an example of a shot that needed a lot of work. In person, I could see spectacular colors in the sky as the sun was setting, but I could see in my image preview that the illuminated objects needed a different exposure, there was also a lot of glare from different sources. Here's the two original images I used to layer in PS and the final version after editing. (design by Jeff Mauer)

IMG_2975-450b.jpg

IMG_2975-450c.jpg

IMG_2975-450a.jpg