morons

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by godzilla, Feb 12, 2006.

1. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

This isn't meant to ***** and moan or anything... just to ask why people do work for so small of amounts?

I go to look at a lawn today... $125 is what I would charge at a minimum... they get it done for $70.

I was talking with a friend tonight, his brother in law who has an acre or more... >$65 per cut is getting it done for $40 - $45

I was talking with a former customer, he was bitching that his brother gets his lawn done for $40 which is probably 1 1/2 acres... and I charge him $30 (should be $40) for not even a half acre... I said go ahead and get your brother's guys over here for $20... won't bother me one bit.

It just makes no sense to me why people would want to work for so cheap.

2. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I am with you. I guess they feel that work is better than no work.

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

unfortunately there are tons of people that feel that way. Try living in the state with the most porous border in the US.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Dosen't mean they are morons..at least they are working.

5. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, they are working, but for what in the end?

6. kirk brown

kirk brown LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

i found that when i first started i almost felt guilty charging people higher amounts for lawn care. i would have a price in my head and when i go to talk to them, i would say a lower price.
    not now though.....don`t like the price....cya

7. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

We aint doctors, or rocket scientist..........how much you think you going to make cutting grass?

Not saying I dont agree with you, I do. But lets be honest, we are just the "lawn guy". Thats why I stick to the 1/4 acre yds, you make more money. Most my lawns I do in 10-15 min, and make $25 - $35 a peice and knock out 3-4 an hour, versus the big yds. But there are a lot of small yds where I live so the gettin is good, I understand other areas you guys have to deal with big yds.

I give up on being a millionaire and just happy to be making an honest living. Also everybody has different expenses, I mean if you have more bills then yeah, you gonna wanna charge more, but the other lawn guy down the street still living with his parents and mowing on the side, is gonna charge less. You may have more experience and charge more where the next guy has no experience and charges less.

All part of business, and it's never gonna change

8. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

It has to be the guys who don't keep records of what is coming out of their own pockets who work for super cheap.

Everything we use -- gas, oil, grease, filters, blades, belts, sharpenings, trucks, trailers, mowers, timmers, blowers, insurance, etc. -- they don't give away. The bill of sale may say you own it, but your customers are receiving the use and consumption of all these things.

It has been said on LS many times that if you don't know your costs and charge accordingly, Wally World may offer you a better living.

9. Pro-lawns

Pro-lawns LawnSite Member

My Favorite,
    I can get my grandson or the kid down the block
    To do it $10.00
    and then i tell them does he have insurance,
    does he know how to fix a spinkler head that he mowed over
    That makes them tthink

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Theres grass cutters- lawn boys and not businessmen and they treat the work as work and not as a business. If you always want to be the one working, charge cheaply and you will work. If you would like to retire or have others doing the work for you charge what a business need to charge to make a profit and hire employees and most of all learn how to manage.