Mortar In your Base

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Shane472, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Shane472

Shane472 LawnSite Member

I was watching some British gardening show over the weekend in which they were installing a flagstone walkway and the contractor on the show was mixing in mortar with sand to set the stones in. Anyone ever try this? If so how'd it work? I couldn't really understand what the guy was saying so any info would be great.

Thanks.

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Just keeps the stones from moving around less. Was it mixed morter or dry?

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

when i did my paver install this summer (~900 sqft around my pool) my neighbor asked if i had swept in some mortar or concrete in the joints. He was tellin me one of his budd's had it done to keep grass/weeds growing up through as well as lock them in. But as i see it, most paver patterns won't allow any significant shifting. i don't think i'll have a problem with weeds in 12" of item #4 compacted @ 4" intervals either :)

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Pavers... no. Flagstone is irregular and not as closley spaced.

5. Shane472

Shane472 LawnSite Member

He was mixing it dry. One brand of pavers recommends mixing mortar in with sand when building a tall retaining wall (4-8 courses). I'd never seen it used in flagstone work before.

6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Sounds like he mixid in sand/portland cement mixture in the joints.

From what i have seen you just lightly spray it down when finished and it hardens. Personally ive never seen flagstone move too much when put down on a good base.

7. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

"i don't think i'll have a problem with weeds in 12" of item #4 compacted @ 4" intervals either "

Maybe not, but they will grow in 8" done in 2" lifts, and they will grow in the sand that gets swept in. ;)

8. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

We will mix in cement in with our 3/4 crush (for pavers) and wet it down if we feel the need.