Mortared/glued pavers

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by NewHorizon's Land, Feb 24, 2007.

1. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone ever mortared or glued pavers to a fill block such as a cider block to create steps? Did this work out for you? If so any pics? Thanks

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

First, I would never use cinder blocks as a fill block. They will eventually absorb moisture and crumble. I will see if i have some pics.

Chris

3. NewHorizon's Land

Ok thanks. Does EP Henry make a "fill block"? If not, what would you suggest using?

Justin

4. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

EP Henry just started making a fill block. Not sure on the pricing yet, but I always prefer to use Versa-Loc non weathered stretchers for fill block. Mainly because they are solid. See the attached pic.

Chris

PICT0072.JPG

5. NewHorizon's Land

Ok so the Versa-loc is put down "flat" with the other faced stone on the outside. What do you use to fill in, regular joint sand? It looks like you are using stones.

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

CG did you ever run into proablems with the high variations between the versa lok and the ep henry?

Any more pics of that job?

7. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

CG how come you put paver edging up against the wall? i never thought to do that we just always let the paver run up to the wall. does that work out better that way? just curious

8. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Chris,
    you have more money in those two six inch steps than I would have had in the whole set. JK!!

Ive never understood using the pedastal method to that extent, I know that its assurance, but I just bury one course and have never had problems. I just cant see spending the money to do it that way. I mean you have 800.00 of block buried.
    By the time you get to the top (6' correct) you will have 7 cubes buried 280 block X $5.00 = 1400.00 WOW

It will hold up though, no doubt.
    looks like the start of a beautiful project!

9. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

If you where going to build a set of steps out of concrete block and mortar would you just bury one course and back fill the rest? of course not, so why would you do it with mortar less block? you will never achieve proper compaction back filling the steps and not only is it a better step but it is faster to build once the first course is built. the ep henry fill block is much cheaper and is a solid unit that will help lessen the cost of building steps the right way.

10. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Paver Pete dont use the pedastal method.:laugh:

Your right it is a stronger system, ive just never been able to swallow mucho dollars and do it myself.

I do feel as though you can get good compaction if you bury one to two courses.

On the set that chris posted I would have probablly went back half the distance with block and the back half with base.

Do you think compacting back there would move those 5 front courses of blocks (preventing good compaction)?