1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

'Mosquito Barrier' - our customers' choice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used this a few years ago. It does work but i found that it lasts only 3-4 weeks tops. There is a very Distinct garlic smell and be prepared to clean those tips and screens as this is a very dirty product.

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

IMHO you all are missing the boat by not selling Mosquito Mist Systems. These are installed just like or similar to Irrigation systems only with High pressure pumps on a timer that sprays a Light Mist of Pyrethrin. You get a big Bump up front for installing the System and a reoccurrencing maintenance account. I am not going to do all the work for you so Google Mosquito Mist Systems.

3. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

The only thing with the misting systems is that there is a lot of build up on upper end painted metal fences, also there is no way to treat the lawn areas on big property just the house and beds. I still think spraying is the best way to treat plus I can get 20 ft into tress

Posted via Mobile Device

4. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

I wanted to pull this post back up to see if anyone is still offfering this service or if everyone stopped/out of buisness. Still wondering if the garlic barrier would work and the smell...also concerned about drift from backpack misters if appling talstar or similar....thoughts? I could sell it as a vampire barrier as well.....:drinkup:

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

is the smell worse with a hot day? how does rain effect this?

6. eggy

Seems like you could use a backpack fogger/mister with deet? I could sell in deet however not so much talstar..etc...

7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We stopped using Mosquito Barrier. Worked fine during dry weather, but rainfall kills it IMO. Then we started using the "beet stuff" cuz they said it was a good overall product......... never again, cuz it's worthless. Doesn't kill skeeters, doesn't last. my 2 cents

p.s. still got some we will never use

8. eggy

Does anyone know the recommended amount of talstar of using a backpack mister..I can not find the amount on the label. It says .33 to 1 ounce per gallon of water to treat 1,000sq ft. That sound like a rate for a backpack sprayer not mister/fogger. At that rate to treat one acre shrubs/lawn I would be using almost 43.5 gallons of dilluted product ..

9. yardman58

yardman58 LawnSite Member

how long does the mosquito barrier last once it is sprayed??
    How does rain effect it time length??
    yardman58

10. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

In my opinion, it lasts a short time (1 dry week). If it rains, effectiveness is dramitically reduced below 1 week.
    It's not a product that I can honestly recommend.