1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

'Mosquito Barrier' - our customers' choice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Jun 23, 2009.

1. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks guys, ur are funny!

2. zimmatic

zimmatic LawnSite Senior Member

3. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

more like lasts 7-10. What are you using?

4. humble1

from MA

Even though it is an exempt product if a product kills mitigates or repels it is considered a pesticide. Most states require a license if you are appling a pesticide for hire. I would definatly check your state. In NH appling garlic barrier for mosquito control without the biting fly cat license would get you fined.

5. Bwing96

Bwing96 LawnSite Member

I use a back pack mist blower and apply about 3 gal / acre

6. humble1

from MA

how much product per gal are you mixing.

You must get some strange looks when you stop at the store afterwards.

I was spraying fish & seaweed once and i got a dirty look from some chick when I was behind her at dunkins

7. Bwing96

Bwing96 LawnSite Member

.75-1 oz/gal

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

IMO I see guys using more product than needed, as well as using spray equipment that is not powerful enough. Skiters can fly high - often up to 25 feet in the air (trees, shrubs, etc), and you really have to 'blast' through the entire plant and spray high enough to attain long-term protection. I'm talkin' about 400 psi with guns that can blast through the entire plant as well as spraying way up in the air to repel the rest.

We have always gotten excellent results by spraying about a gallon (concentrate) for every 4 acres (unless the property is loaded with shrubs & stuff).

Two gallons per 75 gallons of water is all I have ever mixed. Always excellent results. I will be spraying several properties this Thursday & Friday for the Fourth of July weekend, and I am confident. (our home included). We'll be making a 'run' to Missouri for illegal fireworks, will be grilling out, will have plenty of free adult beverages, and the pool will be open.

I expect NO mosquito bites whatsoever at our house this weekend. I know this cuz I've been doing the same thing for the past 3 years.

9. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Larry speaks the truth. M-Barrier also repels cucumber beetles for my giant pumpkins. Works much faster than Warrior or Talstar.

10. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Also works great keeping flea beetles off my eggplants.