Mosquito barrier

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Watkinslawnservice, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone doing the mosquito barrier program again this year?
    If so, how is it going so far? I am going to get some of this stuff and see it work for myself before I go and test for the mosquito classification license.

What kind of a sprayer works best? I re-read the post from last year about mosquito barrier and I have to admit I don't know what is meant by a PG. Is it a kind of back pack sprayer? If I were to use a back pack, which one spacifically would work best? I have a echo and shindaiwa catalog in front of me so if anyone would want to tell me a specific model out of these 2 brands at least it would give me an idea.

Thanks for the help.

2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

PG= Permagreen Ride On Spreader.

3. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

We've used lesco's crosscheck (Talstar One) here at the house and we've had great results. My wife and kids all get torn up pretty bad by the skeeters but since I sprayed, they haven't had so much as a bite. Now, it's rained here every day for about two weeks, so the conditions are ripe for a mosquito outbreak, and as a matter of fact, Richmond County, just across the river, is spraying for mosquitos. But we have yet to see them here. I also have a small nursery out behind the house, and it stays fairly damp down there but I haven't seen any skeeters there, either.

The sprayer that I used is the $300 25 gallon Tractor Supply ATV sprayer, mounted to a Scag tiger cub. The sprayer is a Fimco, I think.

4. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

We have used the Mosquito Barrier and applied it with a back pack sprayer. We mix it a bit stronger than on the label ane the stuff works pretty well. We are two weeks mosquito free....

Mike

5. Watkinslawnservice

That makes sense.

6. Watkinslawnservice

Does it take a long time to spray a whole yard with a back pack sprayer? Would one of those motorized BP sprayers like echo sells be faster, or just lessen the operators fatigue?

7. Williams Services

A regular BP sprayer like an SP would be faster than the electric sprayer. The advantage of the electric, like the Shurflo Propack, is less fatigue, as you noted. Ostensibly, it also maintains a constant pressure, which is lower than what was advertised.

8. Watkinslawnservice

Thanks for the info. Is there any specific BP sprayer that sprays a larger pattern or puts out more product per minute? Is PSI the only rating to go by on this? Is it the more PSI the better or are there other things to consider?

Thanks

9. Williams Services

Dave,
    There are a lot more factors to consider than PSI. Droplet size is one, wind speed and direction is another. What you're spraying and what your target is is another. The target you're spraying for will often determine the droplet size, and method of application that you use. For instance if you treat an ant mound, you will most likely be using more of a stream (large, coarse droplets) whereas if you're blanket spraying a lawn with a turf growth regulator, you will want a finer spray. If you treat for weeds in a flower bed, you'll want the spray more directed, with lower pressure. The higher the pressure and finer the spray, the more potential there is for spray drift, which can cause serious damage at times.

10. Watkinslawnservice

I am actually just looking for a sprayer to specifically spray the Mosquito Barrier. I ordered a gallon of it and I want to try it on my yard and a few friends yards to see how it works.

I think it was discussed or maybe it says on thier web site that smaller dropplets worked best when spraying this stuff. I think drift should not be a problen since it is just garlic.

I guess what I am asking is what specific sprayer should I buy to put this stuff down? I know that any back-pack would probably do but If I start applying this stuff I don't want it to take me all day to do a yard. They all seem to have different PSI. What PSI would be best for this application?

I also saw a sprayer somewhere that you fit inside a commercial fert spreader and push it around the lawn. Maybe something like that would be the ticket, or a skid mount on a trailer with multiple drop tanks for when I start doing fert and weed control programs next year.