Mosquito Barrier

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by BareFootLawn, Jun 18, 2004.

1. BareFootLawn

BareFootLawn LawnSite Member

Here's what I did today.
    Mowed three properties in the morning, then went and sprayed three more properties that I have (sold them Mosquito Spray Program).
    I'm using a solo backpack sprayer (4 gal, Handle Pump) that's dedicated to Weed Barrier, nothing else.
    Mixing 6oz Weed Barrier / 6 oz canola oil / 1 oz palmolive soap with 4 gallons of water. Covers roughly 1 gal / 2,500 sq/ft (I know... I'm going a little stronger than recommended).
    Charged all 3 properties $42.00 (roughly $10.50 gal) with follow up spray in 2 weeks for $36.00 and monthly spray after that for $36.00. Took me 30 minutes or less on all three lawns, plus mixing for the next one.
    Weed Barrier - $107 (shipping included)
    Canola Oil & Palmolive - $5
    Water - No one's charged me yet.
    84 gallons of mix = roughly $775 or 21 treatments of 10,000 sq/ft
    I sprayed my yard and one of my neighbors yard last week (neighbor lives on a river). Mowed both properties this week and no mosquitos on me at all. Ate dinner on my porch tonight, no mosquitos, went next door and they swamped me.
    Seems to be working well, we'll see if I have any callbacks next week.

2. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Keep up posted on this one they eat me alive even when i'm in the garage.

3. BareFootLawn

I sprayed around door frames, under decks, and on patios.

4. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

weed barrier? You mean mosquito barrier right?

5. BareFootLawn

Yes... it was a long day. Must have inhaled some of it!
    Just contracted to spray for a wedding on Saturday of next week.
    $240

6. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I just sprayed the product in my area and had very poor results. I used the same mixture as above but stronger. (I used 3 gallons of water instead of 4) It had no effect. I just mixed 3 gallons again but this time with 18 oz or "garlic juice". ( I will let you know what happens)

7. BareFootLawn

How long did you wait to see the "results"? Recommended wait is 24 hrs.
    What type of spray nozzle?
    You need 350-400 microns which is a heavy mist. Not droplets.
    I would be skeptical if I had not witnessed the results first hand in my own yard. I have several customers that want to get on a regular spraying program.

8. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I use the standard nozzel from a backpack sprayer and use a fairly heavey mist. Why would droplets affect the product?

9. BareFootLawn

The droplets have to "touch" the entire area and the mosquito if you want a "contact" kill. Yes, this will kill mosquitos.

Also, as far as "heavily" infested. I'm spraying properties that are on the river here in Sheboygan. I've also sprayed properties with standing (not running) water in the backyard. Seems to be working great. We did a test the other night in our backyard. Sat on deck and ate, no mosquitos. Went into neighbors yard, mosquitos.

Maybe your mosquitos like garlic?

10. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Anymore updates barefoot? How's it working for ya?