1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mosquito Control/Deck Height Question?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shannons33, Jun 9, 2004.

1. shannons33

shannons33 LawnSite Member

My husband typically does all the posting on here, but since he is working today and has a question, I signed up and am going to post.

One of our customers asked us to lower the deck height so that it would help control the mosquitos in their backyard that are out of control during the daytime. He plans to put the Lesco Talstar product on the lawn first, but does deck height matter? I was thinking no, but want to explain that to the customer with some background information (sound knowledgable, etc.). We are against lowering the deck height because that is a big pain to lower it up and down, up and down. They also have quite a few pine trees in the back yard which we think is attributing to the mosquitos.

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I don't know the answer to your question but shouldn't the Talstar be applied before you mow?

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard it ALL now!

Every excuse in the book to get us to cut lower.

I really don't think the mosquitos care if the lawn is cut at 2.5" or 3.5".
  4. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Makes no diff for Skeeters.

Talstar may not have an effect either.
  5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Height of grass does matter. The longer the grass, the more moisture it will contain, and the more of our La. state birds ( mosquito) will be present. They love the long, thick, wet stuff.

Now, would I change my cutting height to accomodate her? No.

There are more productive ways to control them than keeping your grass shaved to the dirt.
  6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've tried Talstar before, didn't have any effect on the mosquitos here in MN.
  7. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

My wife, as lovely as she is, did not ask this question on my behalf. I told her that I did not buy into the notion that lowering the grass height 1/4 to 1/2 inch would make a noticeable difference on mosquitoes. Instead, I told her that I would cut the grass as I always do and spray the large bushes and shrubs that encircle that yard with Talstar F. ( I personally have had GREAT results with the Talstar)

As always.......she doesn't seem to believe anything that I say unless it is confirmed by a third party!:rolleyes: Well guys, welcome to the party!

(Sorry, honey! After all, I can't believe you posted here. This is worse than messing with my tools in the garage, and embarrassing to boot!:eek: But I love you!!!!)

8. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

In the land of 10 million lakes, not much works on them buggers. I lived in a suburb of St. Paul for 6 years and am still itching!