Mosquito Magnets, Do They Work?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by The Captain, Sep 6, 2005.

1. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

This year, for some reason our neighborhood has had more mosquitos than I remember ever having. This season hasn't been that wet, but there are zillions of the little blood suckers out here. I don't let my wife smoke in the house, so she is out on the rear porch several times each evening. (She's now more worried about 'West Nile Virus" than cancer.) Anyway, rather than build a 'smoking room' for her, I thought I'd get one of the "Mosquito Magnet", made by American Biophysics Corp. They use propane gas to produce CO2 to attract several types of biting insects and don't use any chemicals. Has anyone had any practical experience with these units? They come in several sizes based on the area of coverage needed, but are a little pricey.

Any input from Lawnsite members would be appreciated.......

2. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I want to know about this too.

I am in the same situation. I'm just across the river. I think it's because we didn't have a cold enough winter to kill many of the insects off.

I have been looking on Ebay for a good deal on a Mosquito Magnet or something similar.
  3. The Captain

Soupy....check your local HD stores. They have them for about $100 off the normal price. I just don't have a clue as to how well they work for that co$t.

4. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

What is their asking price? I have found many brands on Ebay and they all different in price, but claim to do the same job.
  5. lawn and stump

lawn and stump LawnSite Member

I have one and the bag doesn't fill up like they say or maybe they just dehydrate. also after 2 years mine won't start up I tried everything. mine cost about $900 and it takes an octinal and propane tank every 3 wks about $1 per day to operate.
    I have a cust that really liked his and this year his won't start up.

I would be carefull about buying a used one. might be someone's junk.

check out their web site
  6. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Yes,they work,to my amazement.I figured it was another gimmick,but my folks,who live on the river,bought one to try since we couldn't even sit outside in the evening during cookouts.It works great.Be sure to place it as far away from where you'll be sitting or cooking,or playing with the kids as you can.It attracts the mosquitos,so you don't want it close to where you'll be.
  7. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

If you live in an area where there are a lot of Mosquitos then it won't help eliminate them. We live in the mosquito capital of the world. There's a place of business here in town that has 10+ mosquito magnets for a 5 acre area. They have the biggest mosquito magnet on the market. And with all the mosquitos it just isn't able to get rid of them. If you live in an area where mosquitos aren't all that bad then I believe it will work perfectly for you. But like they said, it attracts them so install it on the boundary line of the property.
  8. The Captain

Soupy....The price I saw was for the 1/2 acre type and was $180.00. The list price was $280.00 +/_ and it was for the American Biophysics brand.

To the rest of the members, thanks for the info. I'll pick one up today and give it a try. You know how it goes, "When momma aint happy :realmad: , NOBODY'S :cry: HAPPY!"

9. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

They work really well. Got one for my grandpa who's backyard was filled with them. They aren't there when it's on. It's one of the Mosquito Deleto things. I would recommend getting it.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Some work, and some don't, is what I've found out. there have been alot of consumer reports on these things. I have a customer that has one, they are nestled in a back corner of a sub and have thick wet woods on to sides of their yard. They've had theirs for two years now, and run it at the back of their property at the side of their extra garage back there. This one works - it's a Coleman. You might be able to go to Consumer reports magazine's website and pull up some info on them.