Mosquito Misting Systems

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cpel2004, Dec 5, 2007.

1. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do any of you offer mosquito misting system as a service if so, how has it worked out for you and what manufacturer do you use? Thanks

2. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

You must have read my mind, i saw an ad in a Pest Control Mag, and was going to post this exact same thread.

3. cpel2004

Himble1 I am very fascinated about the pest control/ fert side of this business. There's only so much you can do as mowing contractor, Im looking to expand my horizons by adding a host of services to my current model. In Fl like most states they don't make it easy to obtain your license and I agree Im just trying to find a way that works for me and my customers. I dont have enough business to add a full time guy who already has a license, I know what I have to do, increase my customer base so I can pay a person for his time and training. I do realize that I cant be everything to everybody but I think PC/Fert is a no brainer.

I think the misting system would be a great add on once I get to a level that that my business could support both payrolls. Im imagining that the call volume peaks during the spring and summer and tapers off during the winter months. Will see if anybody chimes in. I did a search and it very few post mentioning this service, it makes me wonder.

4. Nate@TLCS

Nate@TLCS LawnSite Member

Mosquito "fogger" is what you are talking about correct? Ok, alot of municipalities own one in my area, and employ someone that is licensed to treat for mosquitos. I offer to my customers a residential mosquito control program. It is a monthly service. In Illinois, you have to be licensed in each category of "lawn care/pest control" Turf, ornamental, rights of way(roundup) mosquito, structural etc...

5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Skeeter-b-gone is one of the ones that I know of.
    We dont use any of the systems that are injected thru the irrigation systems due to our local notifiction laws. But I have heard pretty good things from one of the vendors that I know.

6. cpel2004

In the Spring and Summer months mosquito become over welcome to the point in some areas you can afford to be out side. Do any of you guys have any +/- feedback regarding these devices and their manufacturers

7. Nate@TLCS

Nate@TLCS LawnSite Member

Some people swear by the systems, others say they never work. Where I am from origionally they have three foggers.... and millions of mosquitos. Foggers only kill what they come in contact with, so tomorrow night they will be back. In Illinois there is somthing called a mosquito abatement zone and certain state employees are supposed to watch the mosquito populations in these zones.... they don't, we have west nile around here commonly now. I don't believe in them at all.

8. pyrocare

pyrocare LawnSite Member

I do not believe he is talking about the traditional foggers that you see the city employees or other pest control people driving around with on the back of a truck.

I think he is talking about a system that puts misting heads in the customers yard and release a controlled mist of a certain chemical twice a day. In all practicality they are a fogger but there is a distinct difference between the truck mounted and a stationary misting system.

At GIE I had talked to a rep and I believe it would be a great add on for any lawn care company. There is the price to install the system - the rep said is the comparably priced to an irrigation system for that size of property. Then there is also the recurring income from the replenishment of chemicals.

The rep that I talked to was from the Mist Away system - http://www.mistaway.com

9. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

The skeeter b gone system is actually injected into the existing irrigation system. It can be operated manually or on a timer.

10. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I saw one system you put misters on gutters and decks in the beds etc, i think you use permethrin? I got sticker shock thousands of dollars for a unit plus labor to install. I think people would buy a couple mosquito magnets for less $.