Mosquitoes

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RobHawkins, May 4, 2008.

1. RobHawkins

RobHawkins LawnSite Member

I have a lawn full of big (male) mosquitoes. The females (the ones that bite) can't be far away.
    What's the best way to get rid of them?
    Thanks,
    Rob

2. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure if bifen is an RUP. Works great

3. RobHawkins

RobHawkins LawnSite Member

RUP? Residential User Pesticide?

4. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

talstar bifen is not a RUP product...

5. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Residential User Pesticide I hope you are joking,
    Restricted Use Product

Crosscheck for Mosquitos

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Male mosquitoes here, too. Can you drain the water source? Can you treat the water with BT dunks? A few dozen fish bait minnows will clean up most ponds to get rid of the larvae. An agitation system will get rid of most larvae also.

7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Like humble1 said, Crosscheck (from LESCO) knocks 'em out good. It is a short term solution though -- great for special events. We have also used Mosquito Barrier for longer residual, but the garlic smell lingers a long time.

8. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

call mosquito control...........

you guys don't have a goverment dept that does mosquito control up north?

9. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

First of all, be certain that you indeed have a mosquito problem. In my area of Mid-Tn. there has been a huge hatch of "Crane Flies" lately. Received dozens of calls from customers concerned with them. I'm not sure why there have been so many of them but they are everywhere. As I understand it they simply hatch and mate and feed very little(not on humans). Some speculate that they even feed on mosquito larvae thereby reducing future populations. I've noticed the past few days that they seem to be tapering off so the calls have reflected this as well. Call your county extension agent for positive ID. before throwing around a bunch of insecticides that may be controlling a beneficial insect(s).

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

For those of you guys that are using Crosscheck for mosquitoes, are you spraying it, or spreading granular to be watered in? I have been doing control for special events, using a thermo fogger, but usually only cover a half to an acre. I got a call to do an openhouse, and they want 3 acres done. I am wondering the most practicle means of doing it. Granted, I could probably fog 3 acres in about an hour and a half.