1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Moss/Algea Question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Natural Impressions, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Natural Impressions

Natural Impressions LawnSite Member

I recently received a phone call from a customer with concern about moss/algea growing on his fence and a tree. ( I believe it is moss but haven't seen it yet.) He was wondering how this has happened and if it should be a concern or should it be treated.

I haven't spoken to him yet but my 1st thought it is from a result of amount of rain we had this year in the area. Maybe with the sandy soil and being about 20 mile off the ocean could have an effect. ( I dont know just thinking).

If anyone has seen this before and has an idea how this has happened, effects of this to his fence/tree, and any preventatives we could take I would really appreciate it. Thanks and I hope everyone has a great holiday season.
  2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

If you have moss (or lichens) growing on trees or above ground objects it is usually a result of moist conditions. This could be the result of frequent rainfall or lawn sprinklers keeping the tree bark and fence wet. The moss doesn't really hurt anything. It well help hold moisture in the wood of the fence and accelerate decay. It's normal for trees in a woodlot to have moss or lichens growing on their bark.