Moss Control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lech615, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Lech615

Lech615 LawnSite Member

I visited a house today that has a problem with moss in his lawn. What is the best way to control moss. I have heard it is caused by poor drainage and too much watering, is this true?

Sorry Guys, I looked oin the appl./ Section and didnt see this title, but I found the info in other sections. Thanks

2. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Lech,
    There was a great post on this a week ago. Type "moss" into the search feature to find it.

One item that wasn't included was a fertilizer ingredient that smokes moss line roundup on turf.

Ferrous Sulphate Heptahydrate crystals. Just ask for "Iron Sulphate". It's very cheap. 50lb bag is like $6-8. Add 8-10 oz to a gallon of water. The iron will greenup the turf a little but the moss will die.

Then do all the good stuff to prevent the moss' return. Lime per soil test, Aerate to relieve compaction (turface will aid air & water movement),trim trees if possible to allow more light, & reseed. Adjust sprinkler if applicable to allow the turf to approach dryness before watering again.

You can get Iron Sulphate all over LI but it may need to be special ordered for you. Lesco & Agway both sell it.

Steve

Steve