Moss Lawn Install??

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Organic a go go, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

Anybody ever done one or have some wisdom for me??

I got a call the other day from a homeowner with no lawn at all in the back due to verrrry heavy shade. Some of the shade is due to trees on their property but most comes from the fact that their property backs up to a heavily wooded county-owned forest preserve. They want to heavily trim their own trees to let in more sun for a back lawn but even so I don't think it'll be enough cause they can't touch the county trees.

IMO its a situation that'll never support healthy turf. The area is already about 65% moss as it is so my suggestion is going to be that they make lemonade and do a moss lawn. They're older, no kids or pets so it seems like its doable for them.

No idea if I'll get the bid or not but wondered if anyone has ever done an install.

2. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

The only times I even see moss is if I am hiking a canyon... sorry.

3. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

sounds slippery, why not just make it natural with mulch and native plants? Sometimes like you said, you just don't get what you want. Tell them to build a nice deck to enjoy since they can't have the yard they want.

4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Go Go I agree with youir assesment, I have a buddy that has done a few but it may take a couple days to track him down. he actually has some varieties that grow very well in full sun

They are probably not very active in the back yard either so it would be perfect

5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

6. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I did learn about it, somewhere? I recall something about buttermilk or powered milk? I'll see if I can find that info.

7. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Moss is a result of fertility, moisture and sunlite, poor fertility, poor drainage, and poor sunlite. Eliminate two of these problems and the moss will go away.
    I was faced with a similar problem last year. The area was heavily wooded, and next to a river. They wanted grass but didnt want to cut/trim the trees. I suggested a moss lawn, but they wanted grass. I didnt do the job. If you have access to a hydroseeder, you can cut moss into little pieces amd place in hydroseeder with water and buttermilk and spray it over the area. I would do some sort of weed kill first to insure good soil contact. Just dont use anything that contains iron.

8. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

One of my clients has converted several "lawns" into moss gardens successfully. They are wonderful!

Contact me privately & I can get you in touch with him.

9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Put in some indigenious forest grasses and/or the local wild groundcovers.