1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Moss Mat being stubborn in Renovation? Chemical Needed to kill it!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GardenofWeeden, Sep 9, 2004.

1. GardenofWeeden

GardenofWeeden LawnSite Member

Hello to all. A client of mine had a tree well over 150 years old cut down over the summer. (Nice divit in the yard from that thing hitting the ground too :eek:) The thing was a monster and hid most of the grass to sunlight for obviously some time. The moss mat is thick. It's as if the old moss is growing on the new moss. I have never dealt with this amount of stubborness. The local garden expert recommended using a high dose of nitrogen to kill it off. Suggestions?

We have roto-tilled the yard, sprayed Quik Pro on three separate applications and it is still wanting to rear it's green mossy head. Some of it died with the Quik Pro, but I think it became food for the new stuff.
    I am about ready to skim over the landscape and remove about 6 inches of dirt over a 50x50 section if I can't kill this stuff. But the problem will still remain.
    The reason for the moss is because of the old tree AND the fact the neighbor has a tree on the other side of the street that shades that SAME part of the yard. That I can't change...
    Anyone have any suggestion to of a chemical that would kill this prior to me laying down seed by FRIDAY Sept 10?????? ;)
  2. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

I believe ferrous sulfate will cure the problem. Spread it at recommended rate, just as you would any fertilizer. You may still have to rototill at some point to get rid of the dead moss.
  3. golfgreen

golfgreen LawnSite Member
    from MA

The fact is that moss lives at the soil surface and survives as small spores. Mosses begin to grow when you have neglected turf ares that are low in fertility, poorly drained,shaded, compacted, and high in soil acidity.

I like your strategy of removing the soil 6" and adding loam. This would be the best idea with such a large amount of moss.

Whatever you do, consider liming, use a decent amount of bluegrass at establishment, and keep mowing heights on the high side after establishment. If you monitor fertility after germination and get healthy growth you will be all set.

good luck
  4. GardenofWeeden

Thanks for the input. I am definately going to lime and bring up the soil. We sprayed Quik Pro today with a dose that looked like it smoked the moss as it hit it. In Virginia, we plant Southern Belle grass seed and will mix some Constituion Shade mix that I am going to mix near the areas of the moss.
    The Turf Center said to just seed over the moss...is this the case?

We've had several Tropical Storms in the area in the last month and god only knows what else may have disrupted our original soil test.

Let me know what you think about planting OVER the moss. Dead or Not?

I am skeptical....

5. golfgreen

golfgreen LawnSite Member
    from MA

I think if the moss is smoked, thats great. Now with confidence, seed, lime, fert, and get turf growing soon as possible. Skim coat any areas showing moss with soil to help with seed germination. Once healthy turf is growing, it will reduce the chance of moss spores to continue growth. Monitor. I think it is going to come out great.

6. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Copper sulfate solution will eliminate surface moss growth, but best to get a soil sample to see what amendments your soil may need to get grass to establish and stay. If you are going to take part of the soil out and add good topsoil then thats a quicker remedy.
  7. GardenofWeeden

Well, after consulting the professionals in here and our local "Whiz" of gardening, here is what I have found regarding MOSS.
    **Gypsum, organic fertilizer, lime and seed, seed, seed.**
    Theory is the soil test we had from July may have been altered after numerous Tropical Storms hit Hampton Roads, VA. And the moss being 'tilled' just distributed more seeds. (Understandably) BUT...who ever said get the seed growing as fast as I can was 100% accurate. (See *** for method) However, as a follow up I will have to fertilize every month to insure deep root growth that will over power the moss.
    Whew...it's beer thirty! Thanks for the great advice!!! I will keep you all posted on the green monster.
  8. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Moss needs three things to thrive, shade, moisture and poor soil. Fix any two and moss will die. Ferriuos sulfate,(iron) will kill moss dead but if you dont take care of the conditions that lead to the moss in the first place it will continue to come back. You have removed the tree and are fixing the soil, is drainage a problem? If so fix that to and you shouldnt have anymore problems with moss. Moss is easy to remove just scrape it up, till the soil, apply fertilizer with iron, as well as whatever ph balanceing materials are necessary and then seed.
  9. GardenofWeeden

The condition regarding the soil was shade. 150 years of it. The neighbor across the street has an oak tree the same size my customer cut down which causes shade.
    I wish I would have taken a picture of the moss. It was moss on top of moss on top of ????. The moss mat was about four inches thick and in some areas even more. Let's put it this was...my customers kids are in their 40's and they "never" saw grass in her yard. The laughed over the green moss being their lawn when they were kids.
    Today I drove by and there is grass starting to prevail. I will check in to the ferrous sulphate in the future. I will also get pictures as the grass grows greener.
    Thanks for the help once again. True pro's on here.