moss on a stone

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jestermg, Jul 16, 2004.

1. jestermg

jestermg LawnSite Member

I have heard a rumor and I am wondering if it is true.

A rock wall placed in a shady area, but the rocks have no moss on them.

I hear that you can take moss off of exhisting rocks, but it in a blender with butter milk and make a "moss shake". Then put that shake in a pump up sprayer and apply the mixture to the rocks and it will grow, as long as it has the right amount of shade and moisture.....

Fact or fiction?

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I don't think it will spray out of the sprayer.................Just my thought.............
    Don't know about that theory either...........

3. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Works much better on horizontal surfaces.
    I have done it and it looks great;have to water it 2X/day for at least 2 weeks

4. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I do that all the time for the rock around the ponds I build works great but like KC said you must keep it moist, And I use goat milk not butter milk

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Hmmm, Learn something new every day................
    Now that my lernin is done......It's miller time!

6. jestermg

jestermg LawnSite Member

do u spray it on or paint it on ot pour it on?

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

That is a new one on me. I have seen people just place moss on the rock and water it. But not running it through a blender. Which I don't think your wife will like anyways.

8. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I think if you had a coarse sprayer and a fine, well blended mix you MIGHT be able to spray it, but you still have to WATER IT. At least on a horizontal surface the water will stay a bit, but on vertical you would have to water more.
    I saw one guy using a Miracle gro sprayer to do it at a demo and it looks good 2 yrs later. The key is shade and adequate initial moisture..Seems to me at least!!
    N

9. DALMlawn&landscaping

DALMlawn&landscaping LawnSite Member
    from TX

i saw martha stuart do that stuff with a paint brush, but she's in jail, so what does she know ;)

10. jestermg

jestermg LawnSite Member

I was asking this question with the right amount of shade and moisture to be in place.

When I say moss, I mean any type of fungal growth. Moss, lichen, etc etc.

This was told to me by an old timer who was a rock mason. I never tried it but in the not to distant future will be putting up a rock border and thought of trying that trick.

thanks for the info