Moss on roof

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by chuck bow, Nov 21, 2006.

1. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Prob not in right forum but how can you get rid of moss on the shingles and prevent them from coming back

2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Get rid of the tree's around house.
    Mike

3. Grass Kickin

Grass Kickin LawnSite Member

Bleach and water in a pressure washer but be careful because it will slime up and be slippery.

4. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

5. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

use anti algea(sp?) shingles.

6. VBsnow

VBsnow LawnSite Member

Turn the house so it does not have a northern shadow.

7. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

a good pressure washer will get rid of it, havent heard of anything to prevent it ( if you walk the roof watch out that stuff is slick)

8. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

Prevention after moss is gone. Algae resistan shingles great but if current shingles are good go to aroofing store and ask for a zinc strip. Just put one on my barn.

9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

copper, zinc or iron strip on the top of your roof. I do many and spray ferrous sulfide to kill the moss every spring and then mid summer get up on top and use a flat shovel and scrape it off. draws about 200 for 25-35 min of spraying and 20 worth of fe. and then another 150 for scraping. after the scrapping I offer yearly spraying of fe. Works very good.
    very profitable.

10. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's wood shingles, pressure washing may be one of the most damaging things to do to the roof.

That moss-kill stuff that comes in 1 gallon jugs for roofs is great. Just don't overspray onto the landscape plants.

It takes a few weeks to do the job - slow kill.

The zinc strips mentioned earlier, are very good too.