1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

moss on yards

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by curtisj, Mar 15, 2008.

1. curtisj

curtisj LawnSite Member

A customer wants me to diagnose A condition ,here it is,moss on yard the scenario is a big tree so it is shaded and moss is on the ground they want me to plant grass,any advice what i should do to remove the moss and get grass to grow?:usflag:
  2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Shade and Drainage issues = moss. You could address the moisture issues / Soil Condition, strip the moss and then plant a good shade grass. Regular aerating is recommend where moss is heavy.

3. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

If there's moss growing that means there's not much sunlight penetrating to the ground. Be very hard to establish turf. Can you thin the trees canopy to allow more sunlight to penetrate the ground? Can you post some pictures? That would help in determining what type of conditions your dealing with.
  4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Definatly needs more sunlight like this guy said. Also should do a soil test as Im sure you will find it is too acidic to grow healthy turf as it is now.
  5. curtisj

curtisj LawnSite Member

do i have to control the moss first or can i just adjust the ph and power rake,then plant seed?
  6. curtisj

curtisj LawnSite Member

going today yo llook at it, the city it is in does not want any trimming or topping unless the tree is in danger of dying,but i will know better when i go look today
  7. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

If you can't thin the tree - never ever top a tree - it will be a nasty uphill battle trying to control moss as well as trying to grow a shade tolerant grass. How much air circulation does the site get? You may want to try and talk the home owners into a more realistic approach.
  8. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Hopefully this is not the case here, but folks who let their Fall leaves sit all Winter in conditions as stated above are very susceptible to moss.

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

I was always taught that moss will grow if the soil conditions aren't healthy enough to support grass. This can occur under trees especially, because the tree sucks up a large amount of nutrients out of the soil. Since there is no healthy grass on the soil, the only thing that will grow there does, and that is moss. If it is just one tree, I can't imagine there being too much shade. I would imagine, like others have said, that the pH or other conditions aren't right for growing grass.