1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

moss problem

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by adam5557, Apr 21, 2005.

1. adam5557

adam5557 LawnSite Member

I have a good friend of mine who has a problem with moss taking over thier lawn.Should i just scrape it all off with a bobcat or w/e ,it is not more then 400 sqft or is their a fertilizer that can take care of this.They also want it re seeded after this any ideas ? thanks
  2. TMarch

TMarch LawnSite Member

I know some people that have used a herbicide called Quicksilver from Lesco on their bentgrass greens and smoked the moss. I don't know if moss is on the label and I'm sure bentgrass greens are not. Never tried it personally. Junction is a fungicide that contains copper which can put a hamper on it. Is this a wooded area? Gotta get rid of the tree's and get some light kicking or you"ll never win.
  3. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

An app was done this spring with chelated iron that has had good results so far...First app singed it, now will try to get rid of it totally with the 2nd app...
  4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't moss indicative of highly acidic soil?
  5. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, dont we wanna know why the moss is there in the 1st place?....How about a soil test from the co-operative extension...Is it very shady?...Trees need a little thinning for spotty sun? I'm just sensible, what the "Heck" i guess you could just "Nuke" the area :dizzy:
  6. GrassMasterNC

GrassMasterNC LawnSite Member

ammonium nitrate (has high Nitrogen levels) takes care of moss and is very inexpensive.
  7. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Good call as this should be the first step. Moss likes acidic, shallow/rocky soil conditions, moist and shady areas. Moss can not grow in thick standing turf. I would correct the soil deficiencies, re-seed with one of the fine fescues for shady areas and properly fertilize. Only stuff I know labeled for moss is DemossTM by Mycogen and Moss and Algae eraser from Lesco. There might be others but I think these are two of the better known.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Copper sulphate works real well. There are 4 main conditions that promote moss (among others). 1. Lack of light. 2. moisture (Inadequate drainage, also - shade contributes to this moisture problem) 3. Poor nutrients 4. Poor air circulation. Yes, moss does like shallow rocky soils, but it can grow in several other soils, as well. For instance, clay type soils work well for growing moss, because again, you have a moisture issue. Anyway, get rid of some of these promoting conditions (probably the light/nutrient thing), and reseed. Keep it fed! I hope this helps.