moss spreading quickly

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bobbygedd, Aug 14, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

a few of our props have moss that is spreading like wildfire. is it the weather conditions this year that is doing it? hot, wet, and extremely humid now for a long time. what do i do?

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say weather conditions. I have the same thing going on here.

3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Where is the moss?

In the turf, on pavement?

Either way you can try a Bleach/Water solution spray. About a half pint of Bleach to a gallon of water. Try that for a home remedy. I use that for patio around my house and have instructed many clients to do the same. it works

If doing on pavement it may become slick afterwards. Scrub brush it off with water.

4. bobbygedd

from NJ

turf glan

5. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Try spraying moss with iron...it will kill the moss. If you are not already, raise the mowing height to 3 inches and keep the grass actively growing to out compeate the moss.
    Pete

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

i put dowm malorganite, moss seemed to get heavier afterwards. so u think, i should spray the entire turf area with iron? whats a good product?

7. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

I like to use lesco 12-0-0 iron plus. Use 2oz. per 1000 sq. ft. I use a turbo tee jet nozzle(blue) #TT11003VP nozzle with a solo 3 gal backpack sprayer. At my walking speed I am going about 5000 sq. ft. per gallon. read the label and stay away from walks and wood ect. This iron will stain.
    Pete

8. GLAN

GLAN Banned

The Iron should work. Also may want to try and cut shorter for that lawn. Also cut back on irrigation. OK, it realy hasn't rained this week.

The bleach will kill it and is much cheaper.

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

ok, bleach it is. ill put it in my sprayer, and treat the whole lawn? how much bleach, how much water?

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

what about a soil sample? is there a bigger problem than just surface moss? proper ph