1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

moss taking over lawn

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ohmiller, Apr 11, 2006.

1. ohmiller

ohmiller LawnSite Member

This new clients lawn has a considerable amount of moss growing in it. Particularly in the shadiest areas of course. Lawn is 10' by 20'. Remove some moss, aerate, reseed and fertilizer w/moss killer were my suggestions. He doesn't want to remove any trees and no harsh chemicals. Any suggestions?
  2. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

We are a sponsor at this site "The Green Guardian"

We have a product that works very well on moss without turf injury.

The Natures Weed and Feed 5-0-3.
  3. hvychev77

hvychev77 LawnSite Member

I've heard lime will help kill moss.............Never tried it though..
  4. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

a lot of times when the ph drops toward acidic levels moss tends to come in becuase thats what it likes,have a soil test done if you can and let them know whats going on ,if ph is the problem they will tell you how much lime you will need but be careful if they tell you over 40 or 45 lbs per 1000 you might want to consider a spring app and fall to break it up.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Not lime...It is Copper sulphate that will burn off moss. Either way, this is NOT a remedy, nor is "organic weed n feed", lime, or any other snake oil magic.
    First, you have to understand what moss is, and the causes of it. There are 3 major conditions that are involved with the growing of moss. 1. is too much moisture (poor drainage). 2. is lack of sunlight (also contributing to the ground not drying), and 3rd is poor air circulation - either due to surrounding trees, structures, etc. If there is anyway to cure some of these conditions, it will help considerably however, proper fertilization is also necessary. many times a lack of nitrogen can contribute as well. Now, this is NOT to say that if you go and dump a bunch of nitrogen in the area that it is going to cure it - because it will not.
  6. lawnGUYnMD

lawnGUYnMD LawnSite Member

I had a customer with a moss issue like you have now. I took a soil sample and found the soil ph was low. We put lime down to correct the ph then when the moss turned black we raked it up. Then we prepared the soil for seeding and it now has grass. It was in a low light area. draining wasn't a huge issue and air flow was good. just my 2 cents.